It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

gallfur HB User
Smile Pain on left side of body from hip down to the leg

Can anyone explain why I have pain on my left side from hip down to my leg, especially at night in bed and I can not sleep on that side of my body. Lifting or moving the left leg at night when lying down, is very painful. During the day I don't notice a thing!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: Pain on left side of body from hip down to the leg

Probably has something to do with your back. A pinched nerve when lying down? Or a bulging disc pressing on your nerves in the spine while in a prone position.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

gallfur HB User
Thumbs up Re: Pain on left side of body from hip down to the leg

Thank you for that insight, as I do have a herniated disc and haven't had a problem with it for some years now. I wouldn't have thought about that connection, altho' do have some problems walking during the day.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

Desertstorm HB User
Question Re: Pain on left side of body from hip down to the leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallfur View Post
Can anyone explain why I have pain on my left side from hip down to my leg, especially at night in bed and I can not sleep on that side of my body. Lifting or moving the left leg at night when lying down, is very painful. During the day I don't notice a thing!
Whatever you have, I have it too.....only my lower buttocks and upper back of both legs hurt after I get out of the car (for the first few steps) or after I get up from sitting. I also have a sore spot right at the top of my left hip. It is actually sore to touch. I cannot lie on my left side at night either. It feels ok till I get almost asleep and then the pain radiates up and down my left leg and in my knee. I have tried sleeping with a pillow between my knees but that does not seem to help. I end up sleeping on my back or right side. I also have trouble moving that leg around, same as you. Is this fibramylgia or sciatica or what? I just found this site tonight.. Hopefully someone can tell us what is wrong.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User

Your pain sounds similar to sciatica. Or at least where your herniated disc is aggravating your sciatic nerve. I went through a lot of pain due to my sciatic nerve (still to this day am not sure what caused it). Other pain related to sciatica is pain it the buttocks, maybe numbness or tingling in the foot. My pain would start in my butt cheek, it would feel like stabbing pain. Then it would travel down the back of my leg, sort of like stabbing and burning pain, and end in my foot which always felt tingling. The pain was worse when I sat down or would lie down. It felt better just to keep standing up. I wasn't diagnosed with sciatica. My doctor did x-rays and saw nothing (herniated disc etc) so he sent to me to a physical therapist. There, he of course moved my joints in every which direction and while moving my legs, he found that my hips did not have as much rotation as it should, and thus told me that it seemed as though my last few vertebra were fused together. He also found (which everyone I know gets a crack out of) that one of my legs are longer than the other. Thus making my hips off balance, and my shoulders. He told me that he wasn't sure if it were the difference in size of the legs, or if it were the fused vertebrae. I wasn't able to go back since I was in my mid-teens, and she stopped taking me. I haven't had it checked since and the pain has ceased a lot. Every couple of months, I will get the pain back, but it won't last as long as it did or as often.

Anywho, I would let you doc know about the pain, because to me it sounds like it is aggravating your sciatic nerve. It normally only affects one nerve on one side of your body. You have one sciatic nerve in each leg starting from your lower back all the way to your foot. Hope this helps some!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

Desertstorm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0kuntrykw33n0o View Post
Your pain sounds similar to sciatica. Or at least where your herniated disc is aggravating your sciatic nerve. I went through a lot of pain due to my sciatic nerve (still to this day am not sure what caused it). Other pain related to sciatica is pain it the buttocks, maybe numbness or tingling in the foot. My pain would start in my butt cheek, it would feel like stabbing pain. Then it would travel down the back of my leg, sort of like stabbing and burning pain, and end in my foot which always felt tingling. The pain was worse when I sat down or would lie down. It felt better just to keep standing up. I wasn't diagnosed with sciatica. My doctor did x-rays and saw nothing (herniated disc etc) so he sent to me to a physical therapist. There, he of course moved my joints in every which direction and while moving my legs, he found that my hips did not have as much rotation as it should, and thus told me that it seemed as though my last few vertebra were fused together. He also found (which everyone I know gets a crack out of) that one of my legs are longer than the other. Thus making my hips off balance, and my shoulders. He told me that he wasn't sure if it were the difference in size of the legs, or if it were the fused vertebrae. I wasn't able to go back since I was in my mid-teens, and she stopped taking me. I haven't had it checked since and the pain has ceased a lot. Every couple of months, I will get the pain back, but it won't last as long as it did or as often.

Anywho, I would let you doc know about the pain, because to me it sounds like it is aggravating your sciatic nerve. It normally only affects one nerve on one side of your body. You have one sciatic nerve in each leg starting from your lower back all the way to your foot. Hope this helps some!
Hi...it sure helps just knowing that the tender spot is sciatica. You have given me more info than I have been able to find anywhere on line. Thanks!! I, for instance did not know that there is a nerve on BOTH sides....thinking it could only be on the left. I have gone to the dr, back in December as my lower back was killing me. He did xrays and said I have severe osteo arthritis....but I do not remember the sore spot in the hip at that time. That appears to have come since then. I saw an orthapedic surgeon for my knee trouble (hot spot) and mentioned my back. He set me up for a two day (3 hour long each session)"back clinic" at the hospital. I go this Monday and again on Wednesday. How these two sessions are supposed to help I have no idea..... I also have a gynocoligical Hernia (prolapse) and according to the internet it can cause low back pain...so I am doomed no matter what to be in pain it seems. I am having that prolapse thingy fixed soon I hope. I have started taking Magnesium pills morning and night. They have not helped the leg pain but the lower back pain has eased. I have also been diagnosed with Fibromylgia (another name for "we don't know what in heck ails ya") LOL The magnesium pills are supposed to help with that and since my back pain has been dramatically eased since I started them a week ago...just maybe I am onto something. Has anyone tried those on here I wonder?? Now if someone could come up with a cure for this blasted sciatica thing..... Hopefully the clinic this week will tell me something...I started taking my 90 pound female Rottweiler (1 year old) to obedience and the leash is worn around our waists with us not being "allowed" to touch the leash with our hands...crazy huh? Anyway every time my dog lunges at another dog (in a friendly curious way) or tries to get to my husband (it is too cold for him to sit outside in this cold Canadian weather) and he drives me...my dog pulls hard on my waist. I then have bad pain for a day or two...this time it has ached all week. Needless to say if I go to class this week (and that is a big "if", I will tether her to the wall....NOT to me. Thanks so much for replying. Do you have that very sore spot that is actually sore to the touch and appears swollen on the top of your hip when you have a pain flareup???

Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User

Goodness gracious, you're a strong woman for all the health issues that you're going through. It always seems to me that something is wrong with me. I will say that I have not had a sore spot during the sciatic pain. Then again, I may have and not noticed it. Where is the tender spot at? I am not too sure about the spot, maybe where the aggravation starts, which aggravates the nerve. I would be careful about your back, be easy with it and if anything, have your husband help if he can with training your dog. Definitely mention when you go to your appointments, that you are having pain along your sciatic nerve. I am sure it can be fixable. Someone with a slipped disc can get it fixed, and when it's fixed it will probably stop aggravating the nerve. My pain has stopped for the last 2 years, I very rarely get the pain anymore, but if I do it doesn't last long at all. It just stopped on it's own. (I grew up in a household where my mother told me "You'll live!".) Hope all goes well at your appointments!!!! Good luck

Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
(female)

Desertstorm HB User
Talking Re: Pain on left side of body from hip down to the leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0kuntrykw33n0o View Post
Goodness gracious, you're a strong woman for all the health issues that you're going through. It always seems to me that something is wrong with me. I will say that I have not had a sore spot during the sciatic pain. Then again, I may have and not noticed it. Where is the tender spot at? I am not too sure about the spot, maybe where the aggravation starts, which aggravates the nerve. I would be careful about your back, be easy with it and if anything, have your husband help if he can with training your dog. Definitely mention when you go to your appointments, that you are having pain along your sciatic nerve. I am sure it can be fixable. Someone with a slipped disc can get it fixed, and when it's fixed it will probably stop aggravating the nerve. My pain has stopped for the last 2 years, I very rarely get the pain anymore, but if I do it doesn't last long at all. It just stopped on it's own. (I grew up in a household where my mother told me "You'll live!".) Hope all goes well at your appointments!!!! Good luck
My dad always said "its a long ways from the heart", LOL....that sore spot is right at the very top of my left hip. Yes, I will certainly mention all this to the therapist and see what she recommends. Although, now that I think about it I did mention the pain shooting down my leg when I was in to the doctor, last...not the sore spot though...it wasn't sore then....but he did say that the only thing that caused shooting pain down your leg was the sciatic nerve....that that was all it could be....and that it would settle down after awhile. The orthapedic surgeon said my both hips and leg pain (I have had that for years...different than this left leg pain) one doctor called it Bursitis, could actually be coming from my back. He called it referred pain..... Anyway I am getting sick of all this....but as dad said its a long ways from the heart. I will let you know what I find out Monday. Take care, Sue

Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

ChickyChat HB User

Try doing a search on Trochanteric bursitis.
On the outer side of your hip where the bone sticks out, there is a bursa sack that gets inflamed every time you take a step, the tendon rubs it and makes it worse. After so long the pains will shoot down the side of your leg and thigh never going below the knee. When you touch one small spot on your outer hip it will send you through the roof!

As this bursitis progresses it sends referred pain to your leg, groin, and butt, and your legs get so weak you can barely lift them up to climb steps.

I've had this for 2 years and it's hell! I get frequent cortisone shots and had two today! I have this Trochanteric bursitis in BOTH hips!

When you lay on your side it's OK for a couple of minutes then it starts hurting really bad and you have to turn. That is from the pressure on the bursa sack.

I get sciacia from time to time from my back which sends the pains down my legs, but this pain is much worse and different. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
(female)

marie39 HB User

It is bursitis. I have it and have had one coritsone injection, which did not help. Heat makes it worse. A cold pack seems to help. It is not too bad, except at night or when I walk on uneven ground or when I walk further than one block. I am going to try another injection. Does anyone know how to cure this? Do exercises help or hurt it? I am too active to just sit around and rest it.

Last edited by marie39; 08-24-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask these questions

Old 08-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
(female)

Desertstorm HB User

Hi...well my leg pain is gone! My low back ache and leg pain was caused, it seems, by a feminine prolapse....I had the surgery done and the pain was instantly gone. The only time I notice the sore spot in my hip, is when I go to turn over in bed. I have a bit of a twinge then. I also cannot lie on a firm surface (bed included...unless I have memory foam between me and the firm mattress. I now know from the above posts that it is the bursa that is sore (thanks you guys for telling me this) I have no idea what will romove the inflamation unless of course one uses antiinflamatories. I am taking Syn-flex ( a glucosamine product.) and I believe it is helping. My hips are a bit stiff and achy when I first get out of the car but it soon works out. The "back" clinic was a waste of time...the prolapse surgery did the trick! Referred pain I would imagine. Hope you all have the good luck getting rid of the pain that I have had...who would have thought it? A prolapse causing all that trouble.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
(female)

jojokdz HB User

I have right hip pain.. at least thats what I think it is. My hip area is so sore to touch. My back aches on that same side too. Then every once in a while I get this(as best as I can describe it) shooting/pinching pain that run down my inner thigh to my groin. The only relief I get is by getting off my feet. It is awful when it happens. I also have shoulder pain that radiates down my arm. I can't sleep most nights especially on that side. I went to the chiropractor and she said it could be many things. Fibromyligia or possible nerve damage or even poor nutrition. What can I do or who should I go to so I can get some answers here!!

JO

Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
(female)

marie39 HB User

I went to a Pysical Medicine doctor who specializes in pain relief. She could tell by moving my leg around that it was not coming from my back and was bursitis. She gives cortisone shots to the painful area and said there are also other things she could do if that didn't work. It didn't work very well so I am doing exercises to strenghten the muscles and wearing a Tens stimulator when I walk, which helps some. There are also patches you can wear to numb the area or for pain medication. Hope you can get some relief.

Closed Thread