It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

HouseFlipper HB User
absorbable sutures that don't dissolve

I am hoping to find some answers to a problem that I have never heard of anyone else dealing with.
About 9 years ago, I had surgery on my left foot to remove a Morton's neuroma. My foot was painful and swollen for several months, the dr. kept taking xrays and couldn't find anything wrong. About 5 months after surgery, while sitting in a sauna room, I noticed a small pimple to the side of the surgery scar and it was itching like crazy. I kept scratching at it and realized that there was something in it. I finally was able to pull about a 6" piece of what looked like tan dental floss out of my foot, and my foot was well 3 days later.
3 years ago I had to have major eye surgery. There were 6 sutures in the eye, 3 internal and 3 external. The eye dr. said that all the stitches should dissolve within 7-10 days. It took about one month, but 5 of the sutures worked their way out whole and the 6th one came out in smaller pieces.
Last August, after breaking a joint in my left foot, I had to have surgery on it again. The same dr. that operated on it the first time did the surgery. He used pediatric size sutures on the outside and said that the internal sutures were much deeper this time and my body should take care of dissolving them. Same problem again. I can feel the knots through my skin at each end of the scar, that is when there isn't too much swelling. The dr. told me that he has never heard of anyone having this problem before.
I keep wondering if it could be a chemistry imbalance, my ph level or what. I mean if those tiny sutures wouldn't dissolve in my eye, good grief. (My husband said that I am an 'anti-dissolvite'.
Anyone out there have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
(female)

WickyWackyWoman HB User
Re: absorbable sutures that don't dissolve

I have had the same problem with several surgeries. Sadly, it happened with facial surgery, leading to infection, foreign body granuloma and disfigurement. Doctors have been quick to blame me because they've "...never seen it before." When I've asked for alternatives to sutures and explain my reasons, I'm told I'm being silly. It is my opinion that when a doctor encounters something he/she has not seen before, THEY research the problem in an attempt to treat the patient or admit that they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Good luck HouseFlipper. If you ever get answers, I hope you'll remember to drop me a note.

Closed Thread