It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

sweety0471 HB User
need help managing pain

hi, i am 36 years old and feel as though i am 80. I am in constant pain everyday the doc now has me on oxycontin 40mg 3x a day and for the most part it is helping, but there are times where i feel i have taken nothing for pain. It comes on strong and can last for a couple of hours. I have read some articles and i guess this what u call breakthrough pain. Anyway, can anyone recommend a good breakthrough pain med. I also have another question. I feel awful having to go and tell my doctor that the pain meds are not working, i guess i am afraid that he will not believe me as i have told other people what i am taking and they say i should not be feeling any pain at all. If anyone else feels awkward about being on so much pain medicine please respond because I would really like to talk about it with someone who understands. Thank you

Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: need help managing pain

There is no such thing as another pain med for an oral pain med....Actually you are on a lot of oral pain meds. What you should be on now is a pain patch and use the oral oxycodone for the break through pain. I am guessing you are already up to an 100mcg Fentanyl patch or whatever patch your doctor uses and then should be using lower dose oxy's for the break through. The patch gives better pain coverage and is changed every 48 to 72 hours. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Hi Sweety,
I haven't been around here in some time but happened to check in and saw your post.
I have been living with CP now for almost 9 years due to a wide range of issues.
I have been on many different pain medications and have done a lot of research, pain medications are just like any other medication what may work for one won't another and what may seem a high dosage for some is low for others.
Some doctors wont' do BT meds as they believe your LA medication should be effective enough not to need BT meds, also some medications won't mix with any others.
As for Oxycontin when I was on it I tried several BT meds, now though I am on Ms Contin and it works well on it's own for me.
First off I would talk to your Doctor about this and she what he advices also there is a really good "pain management forum here you might want to check out.
I hope you can find something that works for you soon and get relief.
Good Luck,
Linda

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
(male)

extraman HB User

i know how you feel.
while i dont have a problem with the dr underperscribing me ( i take 80mg x3 a day, and 15mg IR x4 a day, i always have many of eac left over) its just the oposite with me. ive had 3 major back operations, operations on both of my arms and shoulders ( all from a car wreck) and id probably croak if ididnt have oxycontin. i guess a dr like mine that overscripts is better than one that underscripts.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Closed Thread