It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

Deadbeat007 HB User
Facial redness and Flushing

Hi. I'm seventeen, female. I started having mild acne problems in September and started treating it with Clindamycin antibiotic lotion. I stopped using this a few weeks ago and am now using oral Minocycline antibiotics. However, since September, my face has been redder than normal, and the past week or so, it's been flushing terribly at random times. The past few days, when working out, blood will rush to my face, neck, and shoulders to the point where I'm extremely hot, blood is pounding in my face with needle-like sensations, and I look like I'm about to pass out.

Does anyone know what is causing this? It feels like there is too much blood circulating my face area, causing what looks like a constant, mild sunburn and frequent flushing. My face used to be very fair and even-toned. Thanks.

Last edited by Deadbeat007; 02-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Re: Facial redness and Flushing

Why don't you research acne rosacea. It cause a reddish tone to your face especially in the nose and cheek area. Your capillaries are basically dilated and perhaps that is why it worsens after a workout. It causes acne-like pimples too although it is different than "regular" acne. It seems to happen more frequently in lighter skinned individuals. There are treatments so you should go to your dermatologist and see if this is what you are dealing with. Good luck and I hope this helps!.
Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

My son 18 also experienced this. Red flush, sun-burned look is a side affect of minocycline. He still takes mino, and also did laser light treatments (not cheap $125 a pop and needed to do 6 treatments) to help reduce the redness. Maybe you should switch to a different acne med. My other son 16 takes Doryx. He takes that one because he has to crush them in applesauce (yeah, I know we've TRIED all kinds of ways to get him to swallow meds lol). He does not have any redness. The only reason the oldest doesn't switch is the cost. Even with insurance Doryx costs $50 out of pocket. (now it's down to 42 whoopee!) And, oldest son doesn't want to mess with meds - afraid he'll get a breakout. His acne is only one or two once in a while.

Oldest son said people asked him a lot if he was okay because he was so red. It was very embarassing for him. The redness has pretty much gone away due to the light treatments.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
(female)

Deadbeat007 HB User

Hi there, what laser did your son use? I used Doxycycline for a month but it did nothing. I've used Minocycline in the past without any side effects, so I'm going to try it again and see if it gets rid of my acne from Rosacea, as well as my Occular Rosacea. For flushing, I'm getting YAG laser treatments. My acne has gotten to be extremely downputting for me, so I'm looking into Photodynamic Treatment (Levulan+IPL or Levulan+Vbeam) to see if it'll help my acne, as well as my blotchy pinkish/redness. That's why I'm curious -- what laser/light did your son use with success? Also, how long did it take for Mino to work? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
(male)

yamahadtr HB User

hello. it sounds like you have rosacea, i would visit your doctor and he can out you on a treatment to help your flushing, but its permanent, it cant be cured unfortunately. good luck.

Closed Thread