It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

Isaac1 HB User
adrenal fatigue diagnosis / chinese herbal medicine

Hi I am new to this site and wanted to ask two questions.

1) Diagnosing adrenal fatigue? I have recently discovered from web research that many of my long standing symptoms fit Adrenal Fatigue but have not yet been diagnosed with any medically-recognized disease or syndrome. I have read about self-diagnosing with saliva cortisol tests but would prefer to have a doctor or some kind of health care practitioner supervise this and also rule other possibilities. As this syndrome is often not recognized by many doctors, what is a good strategy to take? An endocrinologist? A naturopath? I live in Sydney, Australia -- can any one recommend one in the region?

2) Adrenal fatigue and traditional chinese medicine (TCM). I have also had some relief from symptoms from Chinese herbal medicine (decoctions prescribed by a practitioner). I have seen several practitioners, including acupuncturists, who have varying diagnoses, but most point mainly to a kidney chi problem (particularly a yin deficiency).
My questions are: I know that it is hard to impossible to compare TCM and western medicine disease categories, but has anyone heard of overlap between these diagnoses (adrenal fatigue and "kidney" problems in TCM)? Is Chinese herbal therapy a safe and effective treatment to combine with treatment protocols for adrenal fatigue?

Many thanks for any ideas!

Isaac

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

IMABELIEVER14 HB User
Re: adrenal fatigue diagnosis / chinese herbal medicine

A Type Of Adrenal Fatigue Is Called "chronic Fatigue Syndrome". It Is When You Are So Stressed Out That You Burn Out Your Adrenal Gland. I Also Had An Overactive Thyroid That Contributed To This Problem. Basically Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Adrenal Fatigue Go Hand In Hand. I Have To Take Many Western Meds For This Problem But The Main Thing To Help Is Rest. Plenty Of Rest And To Eat Properly. I'm Sure You Can Find The Right Diet Of Foods Somewhere Online. Good Luck, Lisa

Last edited by IMABELIEVER14; 02-12-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: YOU SHOULD SEE A RHUMATOLOGIST

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Isaac, welcome!

Many doctors only recognize diseases such as Addison's and Cushings and not adrenal fatigue.

I suggest doing saliva testing for adrenal fatigue and all hormone levels. Many doctors do not believe in this testing, but from what I understand it is more reliable than blood testing. One lab that does this is ZRT Laboratory.

To find a doctor who uses saliva testing (and who would likely be familiar with adrenal fatigue), try calling compounding pharmacies in your area. They may be able to tell you which doctors order these kind of meds. Compounding pharmacies are often the ones who dispense adrenal and hormone medication and supplements.

A good book about adrenal fatigue is "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by James Wilson.

I have recently gone through this testing myself and have been diagnosed with severe adrenal fatigue. There is an Addison's board on this site, which is also for adrenal fatigue.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Isaac, I have had success with Chinese herbal medicine. I think the West could learn a lot from the East in this area.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
(male)

Isaac1 HB User

Thanks all for your responses!

I have located a physician in Sydney, Australia who has experience in this area. However, she seems to be so popular that she has no appointments until April (when I'll no longer be in the country)! But her receptionist has said she can order exams and do a phone consultation.

Other than saliva testing of cortisol is there any other diagnostic method/test of adrenal fatigue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
Hi Isaac, welcome!

Many doctors only recognize diseases such as Addison's and Cushings and not adrenal fatigue.

I suggest doing saliva testing for adrenal fatigue and all hormone levels. Many doctors do not believe in this testing, but from what I understand it is more reliable than blood testing. One lab that does this is ZRT Laboratory.

To find a doctor who uses saliva testing (and who would likely be familiar with adrenal fatigue), try calling compounding pharmacies in your area. They may be able to tell you which doctors order these kind of meds. Compounding pharmacies are often the ones who dispense adrenal and hormone medication and supplements.

A good book about adrenal fatigue is "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by James Wilson.

I have recently gone through this testing myself and have been diagnosed with severe adrenal fatigue. There is an Addison's board on this site, which is also for adrenal fatigue.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Issac. There are blood tests for cortisol levels, but from what I understand they are not as reliable as saliva testing is.

You may want to post this question on the Addison board.

Keep us posted on how things are going okay?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
(male)

chris0007 HB Userchris0007 HB User

Ticker,

Since you seem to be in the middle of healing, can you share your story and what you are doing to heal?

Thanks!

Closed Thread