It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
(male)

want2seed HB User
Unhappy Long hair = Scalp Odor?/More grease?

This is actually a two part question.

It seems that every time I let my hair grow my scalp would really smell. (Like cheese, nasty nasty old cheese It'd feel like too ugh.)

Would my hair being long result in this? (As it doesn't seem to happen as much when my hair is short.)

When my hair is long my face seems to get more greasy too. I'd get zits on my neck. I'm wondering if my hair does that too.

Additional Information just in case you have questions.
*I shower everyday...

*When I say my scalp smells I mean when I smell my fingertips after I scratch.

*I'm not very fit. Honestly overweight.

*I like my hair long... Just in case you wanna say "Cut your hair"

Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Long hair = Scalp Odor?/More grease?

Do you wash your hair every day? If not I would think that would help..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

I would think shampooing every day should help. Wash it 2 times and rinse well.
Have you ever tried to rinse your hair with vinegar? I use to do this often, I would wash with shampoo, rinse, then pour apple cider vinegar onto hair (fully saturate) and massage it good into scalp and rest of hair. rinse this out then shampoo a couple more times to rid of vinegar smell. This really cleans your scalp and hair making it squeaky clean and very shiny. I would use conditioner after as well. Vinegar is a natural product and I would think it would help with odors as well.

A friend of mine used to use baking soda instead of vinegar--make a paste with b.s and water--(enough to cover entire head and scalp)--follow the steps above, except use the baking soda.
If this doesnt help, maybe you should see a dermatoligist.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
(male)

want2seed HB User

Yes I do wash my hair everyday.

It doesn't matter when or where. At the end of the day my scalp is cheesy.

I can not stand the smell of vinegar so I can't do that but I'm just wondering if my long hair is the cause of this and why?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

Baking soda then?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

If you have real thick long hair, air may not be able to circulate the scalp area making it a great place for bacteria and yeast to thrive.

Try "Prell" shampoo, it will get hair/scalp squeaky clean. Use a light conditioner such as "Feria" by Loreal in a large white tube at Sally's Beauty Supply (a little goes a long ways even on thick hair).

My daughter's long thick hair absorbs odors from places she goes, especially resturants.

Last edited by Misty800; 04-12-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
(male)

want2seed HB User

I actually don't think I have thick hair. Could my overall health and fitness result in this too? (what I eat, drink stuff like that?)

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

Are there any other symptoms that you haven't mentioned? I would go to a doctor to get a diagnosis. It could be some sort of infection. What does your scalp look like? Have you had any hair loss? Any other medical issues or medication?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

this may sound stupid, but is your brush clean? do you use a different brush when your hair is long and maybe it needs to be washed?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
(female)

alltaurus HB User

Maybe when your hair is long you are washing the ends but not the scalp as much. You have to get a good clarifing shampoo and scrup it gently into the scalp. Leave it on for a few monutes before you rinse and repeat. Your scalp may be holding more bacteria or fungus. Try using a dandruff shampoo. The only one that works for me is Sebulex. Its a sulfur/sacilic acid shampoo.

Closed Thread