It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Question Why do doctors change their minds??

I have Catamenial Epilepsy, which means my seizures are caused by my menstral cycle. So I finally got the idea that maybe birth control pill would help to stop my seizures (along with the seizure meds I'm already taking), and I asked my Nero, who said, "Yeah, you can try that." So I brought it up to my gyn at my next appointment, and he was like, "Yeah! That might help!" And he started me on one, which did help my seizures, but it messed up my menstral cycle. So he had me try another one, and said that there are so many different ones that we can keep trying until we find one that might work. So anyway, I was on the second one for a while, but it wasn't helping my seizures at all, so after 6 or 8 months, I went back to the gyn and asked him about changing to another BC pill that might work better to stop my seizures, and he kind of looked at me weird and said "Well, the pill won't necessarily do anything for your seizures. And some kinds will actually make them worse." What? It's like the total opposite of what he said the last two times, and he acted like he'd never said it. And he said that the kind I was taking would probably be the only one that would help if at all. Why the 180? Do doctors get new info about things and then are told to act like they'd never said what they'd said previously about those things? Has anyone else had any doctors do this? It's been bugging me ever since, because I feel like the stupid one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
(female)

Madalot HB User
Re: Why do doctors change their minds??

My circumstances were different, but yes, I had a doctor do a complete 180 on me and I felt exactly like you. I have Muscular Dystrophy and my Neurologist (at that time) told me that it would progress and eventually, I wouldn't be able to continue working. He told me that I needed to come to him BEFORE it was so bad so that he could begin the paperwork to start trying to get me on disability.

I worked about another year and a half and did exactly what he said. I made an appointment and told him that it was becoming too difficult for me to continue working and said I wanted him to start the process so I could get on disability. And it wasn't easy for me to do it either. I felt like I was admitting defeat to my disease, but based on what he said, I felt like it was the appropriate step for me.

He looked me right in the face and said "You can't get disability." I was like "excuse me??? But you said....." and he just looked like I had spoken jibberish. He said I would just have to figure it out.

Luckily, I moved and found another doctor who actually does what he says he'll do. I don't know what happened with the previous doctor, but something sure changed and I was really angry.

So I know exactly how you feel. I absolutely hate being made to feel like I'm stupid when I know what I heard.

Last edited by Madalot; 04-15-2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added Text

Old 04-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Why do doctors change their minds??

Thanks, Madalot.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Closed Thread