It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
(male)

AnxiousBoy HB User
mucus in stool?

over the years, i've occasionally noticed a clear or whitish mucus in my stool. its not much, and it only happens every once in awhile (like twice last year). i do drink alcohol regularly and my diet is erratic. is this normal? today i expelled just a little bit of stool, and there was a decent amount of white mucus with it. it does not smell like poo, has an almost semeny smell. no pain or anything, most of the stuff i read on the web said its probably lining from the intestines. i've had friends of mine say they've had this before. anyone else get this? i sometimes have IBS symptoms like diarrhea. just wondering if this is something anyone knows anything about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: mucus in stool?

Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus, but passing stools with visible amounts of mucus can be from a variety of causes. Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis and possible Crohn's disease. A bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction could be the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
(male)

AnxiousBoy HB User

yeah haven't had any problems since that one time. before that, last time it happened was over a year ago. i do have a lot of bowel issues. i have very high anxiety and it seems to spur me to have diarrhea here and there, or loose stools. more than likely, i know that its probably related to some type of irritable bowel syndrome. i'm chilling out about it.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
(male)

hermes370 HB User

what misty said is right, mucous in your stool can been seen in IBS/IBS(this encompasses Crohn's and ulcerative colitis), infections, anal fissures and SBO's(small bowel obstruction)(heck you can see it in a colonic obstruction)

it's normal to have some mucous in your stool, you intestinal walls have glands that secrete mucous(cellular debris from the sloughing intestinal wall gets trapped in this too), but it's usually a scant amount relative to the amount of stool you pass, so much that for the most part people don't notice that they're passing mucous because it just thinly coats the stool ...

don't know about the smell and heck man ... why are you smelling your bowel movement mucous ... not to mention making the comparison between it's smell and that of semen ... dude that's way too much info

anyways, as an FYI, approximately 50% of people with the diagnosis of IBS, complain of mucous containing bowel movements ... as long as your not tons of diarrhea, night time accidents 2o/2 diarrhea, blood in your poop or poop that floats or creates an oil slick on the top of the toilet water, you may very well have IBS/subclinical IBS(there are strict research criteria for IBS and the different subtypes, some doc use 'em for the diagnosis, some don't)

by the way, not all IBS involves diarrhea; you can have a constipation subtype of IBS, where you get hard/lumpy poops

but wouldn't hurt if you mentioned this to your MD next time you see her/him

best of luck

Closed Thread