It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

bootscoot HB User
Canker Sores Inside Mouth

Hello, I am new to the Healthboards. I wasn't sure where to post this. Does anyone know of a remedy for canker sores. I get them all the time. They get big inside of my mouth and are soooooo painful. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

sunshine21 HB User
Re: Canker Sores Inside Mouth

Hi there,

Ok so I can safely say I completely understand your pain. I've had bad canker sores outbreaks in my mouth (sometimes more than 20 at a time!) since I was about 8. Most of what I've been told over the years is that stress seems to be a big cause of outbreaks, and once you've had one....you're more likely to develop them more frequently=(. An RN randomly told me a few years ago that she had a similar problem, and nearly cured it for herself by switching to natural toothpaste. I tried it....magic! I've had a few since then, but it's been years, and they've usually been when I used Crest for a day or two. Not sure if it'll work for you, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try. I use Tom's natural toothpaste, should be at most grocery and drug stores. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I used to get those all the time. I discovered that for me it was a type of food allergy issue. I removed whole wheat, dairy, nuts, and chocolate from my diet and I don't get them anymore. I haven't gotten them for more than 10 years now since removing those things from my diet. Try it.

Also, you can take a supplement called L-lysine and that should help too. L-lysine is good for cold sores that occur on the outside of your mouth as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi bootscoot. Taking the supplement Lysine can help with canker sores. I believe it can help shorten their duration, and it can also help prevent others from coming.

I have used Oragel to help with the pain they cause.

I hope this helps!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

bootscoot HB User

Thank you everyone for your help. I went out and bought some natural toothpaste today. It might be the chocolate that is causing it. I am a chocolateholic.....

Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

mollypolly07 HB User

I have the same problem! they are huge and extremely painful. like the last poster said, Lysine helps prevent mine from occuring. unfortunately, they are hard to swallow so I stopped taking them. I also have been told that eating yogurt every day is supposed to prevent them. I hate yogurt, so I guess I'm SOL

Old 05-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

As for yogurt, the best kind to get is anything with lactobacillus acidophilus (good for canker sores and cold sores alike). The only brand I have found that has it is Yoplait. I suspect that the one that advertises "bifidus regularus" is actually just another name for the L.A. and should be good, too.

For those that do not like eating yogurt, you can get lacto-acid tablets in health stores and some pharmacies.

Lindaru ;~)

Closed Thread