It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
(female)

texasgirl77 HB User
boyfriend very sick, food poisoning?

Okay this morning at about 6 AM my boyfriend woke up sick, with a very upset stomach and a fever accompanied by chills. soon after he woke up, he was in the bathroom throwing up severly and litterally shaking from the chills but his fever was 104 degrees when i checked it. he called in sick to work and i stayed home with him as well to take care of him. well he was sick straight for about two hours, throwing up every 10 minutes at least and then started to have diahreah. finally around one in the afternoon he got about an hour of sleep and then decided that he should try to eat something since it seemed like the vomiting had stopped so i made him some soup and toast. big mistake because as soon as he had two bites he had to run back to the bathroom to get sick again and then continued to be violently ill. well its almost 20 hours later, and he hasnt gotten any better. he still has a fever and he cant even hold water down, im scared that he'll get dehyderated. he still has diahreah but he hasnt thrown up for a couple of hours but there has been a few times where he thought he was going to be sick but didnt. hes hardly slept because hes been so sick and im so worried about him i dont want him to become dehyderated. anyways i just wanted to know does this sound like the stomach flu to any of you because i thought that with the stomach flu vomiting only lasted a few hours? i dont know if it is food poisoning, because all he ate yesterday was fruit and toast for breakfast, soup for lunch and then him and i had the same chinese food dinner last night and i feel absolutley fine. also, if he cant hold water down how is he supposed to keep hyderated? thanks yall, i would appriciate any answers!

-Krystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: boyfriend very sick, food poisoning?

24 hours of vomiting and not holding down liquids = emergency room time. They'll give him fluids intravenously.

He might start to act very strangely, become disoriented, etc. That is a side effect of severe dehydration, so is being very weak and tired.

But, if he's still throwing up, and not holding down even small quantities of liquids, get him to a hospital right away, if you haven't already.

If he's improving, keep giving him small sips of water or juice, and then maybe try a plain cracker once the water is ok.

Last edited by janewhite1; 05-17-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Add something

Old 05-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Good Advice Jane. You might try gatorade or flat coke (add smidget of salt to coke to take the carbonation out).

Old 05-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
(male)

hermes370 HB User

sorry for you boyfriend ... anyways sounds like a bad case of gastroenteritis .. what's causing it, hard to say ... there's been a lot of the norovirus going around as of late ... but there are plenty of other viruses and bacteria that can do this(campylobacter/salmonella/blah blah blah) ... anyways, if you're boyfriend has been vomiting for that long you may want to take him in to be looked at and for some IV fluids ... but what I would be careful in doing is giving him gatorade or flat coke, the big problem is when someone is having diarrhea, fluids with that sugar contact in them can worsen the diarrhea ... sugar'd fluids can cause a secretory diarrhea(the sugar in the intestinal lumen pulls "draws" water out of the body and into the gut), which is why you should avoid juices/sugar'd drinks when children have diarrhea .. if you want something better hydrating and tolerable, try pedialyte; it's expensive but much less likely to worsen his diarrhea and been formulated to minimize the chance of a secretory diarrhea but replenish the electrolytes depleted with diarrhea

best of luck

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

texasgirl77 HB User

thanks for answering... well my boyfriend is very stubborn and kept saying he didnt need to go to the hospital, but finally around 2:00 this afternoon i litterally forced him to go. he threw up about another 10 times this morning and still had diahreah, and like the previous poster said, yes he did start to become very weak and tired and a little disoriented. his stomach was in so much pain when we got to the hospital that he layed down on a line of chairs that was there and couldnt get back up and his fever was still high. well the doctors put him on IV fluids and they are have been running tests on him, i had to go to work today because i couldnt miss 2 days in a row and i just got off now and am heading to the hospital to go see whats up. i am soo worried because he NEVER gets sick... anyways i hope hes okay and thanks again for replying they said it is most likely food poisoning from the taco bell he ate 2 nights ago

Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
(male)

Deflated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl77 View Post
Okay this morning at about 6 AM my boyfriend woke up sick, with a very upset stomach and a fever accompanied by chills. soon after he woke up, he was in the bathroom throwing up severly and litterally shaking from the chills but his fever was 104 degrees when i checked it. he called in sick to work and i stayed home with him as well to take care of him. well he was sick straight for about two hours, throwing up every 10 minutes at least and then started to have diahreah. finally around one in the afternoon he got about an hour of sleep and then decided that he should try to eat something since it seemed like the vomiting had stopped so i made him some soup and toast. big mistake because as soon as he had two bites he had to run back to the bathroom to get sick again and then continued to be violently ill. well its almost 20 hours later, and he hasnt gotten any better. he still has a fever and he cant even hold water down, im scared that he'll get dehyderated. he still has diahreah but he hasnt thrown up for a couple of hours but there has been a few times where he thought he was going to be sick but didnt. hes hardly slept because hes been so sick and im so worried about him i dont want him to become dehyderated. anyways i just wanted to know does this sound like the stomach flu to any of you because i thought that with the stomach flu vomiting only lasted a few hours? i dont know if it is food poisoning, because all he ate yesterday was fruit and toast for breakfast, soup for lunch and then him and i had the same chinese food dinner last night and i feel absolutley fine. also, if he cant hold water down how is he supposed to keep hyderated? thanks yall, i would appriciate any answers!

-Krystal
One of the biggest food poisoning meals is reheated rice, maybe the chinese meal. Some chinese restaurants cook the rice and then reheat it if its not heated enough this can definately cause food poisoning.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am glad that you took him in - he obviously needed to go. Please keep us posted and I pray that he is better soon.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

just wanted to say on a side note that if someone will not go to the hospital or cant seem to keep things down sucking on popsicles is really good because it gets sugar and liquid in ur system and in really smal amounts at a time...i highly doubt it was food poisening with a fever...fevers usually happen with flu's either way i hope he feels better.

Closed Thread