It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

bigbass HB User
Question Baker's Cyst - Inflamation will not go away????

The doctor said I had a Baker's Cyst behind my knee.

He gave me a cortisone shot on two different visits and said they would probably not work and he would have to give me a series of other shots.

Well, he was right. The cortisone shots did not work (lasted maybe 3 weeks each time).

He started a series of 3 shots of Synvisc. He gave me one a week for 3 weeks.

I don't feel the cyst anymore but I CANNOT get rid of the inflamation. I still have a knot on the front of my knee and behind my knee stays swollen all the time. After I have been on my feet 2 or 3 hours at a time, the swelling is so bad that I can't stand it. By night, my calf starts hurting and sometimes hurts all the way in to my ankles. Which my ankles are usually swollen at this point too.

I have been on Naroxen 500 mg (2 x a day) for about 3 months now. My last Synvisc shot was on March 20th.

I have not been back to the doctor but did call last week and the nurse said she'd check with him and call me back. I really like my doctor but his nurse is something else as I have yet to hear back from her (this is the norm for her).

My husband wants me to go for a 2nd opinion but I just don't want to start all over again.

Anyone else ever had this problem? How long did it take for the inflamation to go away?

I have had several people tell me they've never heard of giving Synvisc shots for this. It is prescribed for osteoarthritis knee pain.

It is an orthopedic surgeon that I have been seeing.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Baker's Cyst - Inflamation will not go away????

Synvisc is short for synthetic viscous fluid which is the fluid you would normally have in the knee joint but in osteoarthritis, this fluid is depleted. The shots go into the joint to replace that fluid.

I am totally baffled as to why you would be receiving these in a cyst which is a sac filled with fluid already?

I hope your doctor gets back to you soon and explains what is going on with your treatment and symptoms. Perhaps there is someone else you can leave a message with at the clinic where you will be sure the doctor gets it?

Lindaru

Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

have you actually ever had an MRI done on that knee? it really sounds from your description that you have alot more going on in there than "just' a bakers cyst. i had my bakers in 05,along with other problems which showed up on my MRI.

a bakers actually forms from some level of actual tear within that synovial sac,which leaks fluid into the path of least resistance,the back of the knee. it stays encased so it forms a cyst like glob back there. its kind of a repetitive cycle even if the fluid gets aspirated out of there since our bodies keep generating synovial fliud all the time. the inflammtion is also another seperate issue but can also be caused by the pressure within the knee too. but usually there is also some other issue going on if this stays inflammed(chondromalacia is usually present too just from wear and tear).

my knee had alot of damage that i was not aware of til the bakers started up as a tiny little marble sized lump behind my knee. since i also have RSD in this particular knee,my ortho didn't want to cut into that area so we tried everything to get the inflammation down and not have to go there. but when i tore the menicus too,it was kind of a done deal. by that time,that tiny little marble had become the size of a really good sized tennis ball with little "fingerlets" that also had formed around the other structures in there. my knee was huge and very very inflammed.

the thing with bakers cysts is they will never go away til that tear gets fixed that is leaking the fluid over and over again. having the free fluid from the inflammation apirated can help reduce some of that inflammatory swelling,but that too will just keep coming back as long as the inflammation is there and the problem not fixed at its base.

i too had cort injections,some in the back and one time right into that cyst itself. i saw a rheumy doc and my ortho. my ortho had sent me to the rheumy just to have alot of inflammatory type conditions ruled out. this wouldn;t hurt to do. the rheumy does like a four page in depth very comprehensive blood study looking for just about every imaginable type of inflammtory condition out there. i never had blood work done that was this in depth. came up clear for about 30 different things. i think this could possibly help at least rule out alot of possibilities with the level of inflammtion you have described. this is way more than just from a bakers cyst in my opinion. and if you have never actually had even an MRI yet,that just has to be done at this point in time. having a 'knot" in the front of your knee sounds more like a possible tendon or cartledge issue not related to the actual bakers.

if your current ortho isn;t really "doing' the job for you,i agree with your hubby to obtain a second opinion from another ortho. seeing that rheumy doc really would be a very good idea too. believe me,i was amazed at all that was tested for in me from seeing this doc only twice. once for the draw/consult eval and once for the results and the shot into the actual cyst,then i was referred back to my ortho. you do have some options here. but an MRI if not done yet really needs to be just to see inside that area for other possible damage and to maybe see that tear in there too. my particular tear didn;t show up on my MRI but it most definitely was there and rather large too. my ortho just knew he would find it since this is what starts the whole bakers process.

but at any rate,this level of inflammation is really creating alot of ongoing problems for you and needs to be halted. finding out what is actually at the root of it really needs to be identified for you. it could be a certain level of just damage within your knee or like i said,seeing that rheumy just to rule out a ton of underlying possibilities would be a really good idea for you at this point. it just sounds like you are going thru your own little recycled inflammatory process there but something is at the root triggering it off for you. thats just ALOT of fluid and ongoing swelling you have there. see if your current or another ortho can refer you to the rheumy just for a basic consult eval thing and do get that MRI done. i wouldn't settle just for a CT with this as it wont see into certain areas really well but an MRI would. if you actually have had an MRI done but just didn;t mention it here,what did it state as problems? FB

Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

bigbass HB User

This is my 2nd time to try and reply back on this. I had typed so much already and then hit "enter" by mistake and who knows where my stuff went that I had typed!

I have not had a MRI on my knee, only an x-ray when this first started.

I really like this doctor but because of his staff, I will be changing doctors and having to start all over.

What is bad is my knee is not the only thing wrong with me.

I also have trigger finger in my thumb and tendonitis in my wrist.

I had just changed insurance after my knee problems and now they are giving me fits over everything even though they waived my "pre-existing" condition clause since I proved that I have always had health insurance.

They denied surgery on my thumb & wrist the first time. Now it is also time to put back in for the surgery but that is another thing that I have been waiting a week and half on his staff to get back with me on!!!!!

I give up! I don't understand how doctors stay in business with help like this. You can't talk to him except during an appt....which I can't seem to even get that!

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you are not being properly addresed with your ongoing symptoms,this is not the ortho you need to be seeing,really. if you are at the point where you "give up',its time to find another ortho or at least seek out a rheumy who can rule in or out alot of possible issues or contributors to what is going on there(then seek out another ortho who gives a crap about you). and you DO need that MRI, i really am kind of shocked that you have been seeing this ortho and he has been 'treating" you but he has not actually bothered to really take a good hard look INTO that knee with MRI. this just really NEEDS to be done to find out what IS going on in there and any possible damage that also would be contributing to this mess you have there. this just realistically should have already been done by now. you simply cannot treat what you don;t know is actually there,you know what i mean? there IS something else going on in there besides "just' that B cyst. there just has to be given the level of the inflammation and symptoms(and whats up with that 'knot' in the front?). like i said,an MRI just should have been one of the very first things that this guy did for you at the very beginning. in most cases,when a B cyst forms,there just IS other things that are damaged as well. since it starts from an actual tear in the synovial sac,it would just make sense that other things could also have been damaged too(age and wear and tear come into play here too). pretty basic thinking that any good ortho would just know and do for you.

i would really really try and obtain that MRI and either get this doc to actually notice you exist or move onto one that does. and that rheumy would also be VERY helpful in just doing that rule out for you of all things possibly inflammatory that could be an underlying factor for what you have actually going on in there. there are just sooo many possible things that this ortho should have done or should be doing for you that he has not yet bothered to do for you,his patient. this is just part of his job that you hired him for ya know? i do wish you luck with this. and please continue to keep me posted on things. FB

Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
(female)

lthomas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
This is my 2nd time to try and reply back on this. I had typed so much already and then hit "enter" by mistake and who knows where my stuff went that I had typed!

I have not had a MRI on my knee, only an x-ray when this first started.

I also have trigger finger in my thumb and tendonitis in my wrist.

I give up! I don't understand how doctors stay in business with help like this. You can't talk to him except during an appt....which I can't seem to even get that!

Thanks for your input.
I've been there done that..lost too many messages. If you type your reply in a word or works document you can cut and paste to the message box. No lost message that way.

X-ray cannot show soft tissue damage. I was diagnoses with a Baker's Cyst. It was aggravated if I did not warm up my muscles before activity. I also used RICE..rest, ice, compression and elevation. Ice is my best friend.

I'm not sure what kind of OS you are seeing but it might help to find someone that does sports medicine. If you have a university near you can check and see who are the team OS's.

My OS has a PA that is also his surgical assistant. When I call the office I usually talk with the PA and if he has any question at all about what I need to do he checks with the OS. Every time I have needed to call I have been given an answer. It really doesn't bother me that I am not talking with the OS. If my problem is one that I need to be seen in the office they always get me in that day. Someone is on call 24/7/365 so I know I will always be able to contact someone other than the ER.

Have you posted on the knee and hip board?

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Last edited by lthomas; 05-24-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: add info

Closed Thread