It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
(male)

Dennis17 HB User
Swimming in salt water

My son aged 9 (fit and healthy) was swimming in a salt water swimming pool last week whilst on holiday. After 5/10 minutes in the water he came over to me to show me he was coming out in lumps! Some of them were 3 to 4 cm across. We quickly placed him in a shower and 10mins later the lumps disappeared. Later in the holiday he splashed about in the sea and the same thing happened. No ichiness etc. This has not happened before. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
(female)

jcjwillis HB User
Re: Swimming in salt water

Dear Dennnis17:

It sounds like your son is having some sort of reaction to the salt water or something inside of the water. It could even be hives.

I would keep an eye on this just to make sure it does not reappear, if it does you may want to try benadryl and even have a doctor look at it.

If overly concerned keep away from the salt water.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by jcjwillis; 06-02-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

kemper123 HB User

My advice would be to consult a doctor. And until he figures out what it is, avoid swimming in salt water

Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
(male)

taylods HB User

Hi
I regret to say that I just installed a salt water system in my pool this month & had the same reaction 2 days ago. I've never had a problem swimming in the ocean before & I plan to be in the ocean next week... so I'm hoping for the best.
I'm 49 years old & had been taking "COLD FX" for the last month to battle cold symptoms. I installed new filter 'sand' called ZEOBRITE on the same day as the reaction. The water was 72 degrees, & I had just been bitten by 7 or 8 mosquitos before wading into the pool up to my waist. This is what I often do to relieve the mosquito bites.
Exactly like your son, after 5-10 minutes, I felt stinging over my legs & rump. I felt someting was wrong, & sure enough my body was red were the water had touched me, & I sprouted bumps all over the exposed area. The bumps receded within 15 minutes and a fresh water shower eliminated them within 30 minutes.
My wife administered benedryl as soon as the lumps / hives appeared.

Have you any more information for me, such as a recurrance or recent medication your son had been taking?

Last edited by taylods; 06-26-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Closed Thread