It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User
Head Trauma

Hey folks,

Now I dont know if I am writing this post out of fear or if there is something wrong with me.

About a week ago, I got hit in the mouth with a baseball. It wasnt thrown 90 MPH or at some astronomical speed but it HURT really bad and left me with a swollen lip. When I got beamed with the baseball my whole head shook.

Now I feel like as if something might be wrong with me. My memory is fine but I am really worried and self conscious about speech and writing. I feel like as if my grammar isnt correct and that I am mispronouncing words. My speech is not slurred or anything. Other than that I have no other symptoms.

Could this be excessive worrying or do I have reasonable reason to be afraid?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Head Trauma

just EXACTLY how did that ball hit,straight on or did it kind of come 'down' into or onto your mouth,or upwards from beneath? was it from a hit or a throw(one would have much more velocity than the other)? this all kind of matters from a mechanisim of injury standpoint. were you at least checked out by a doc at an ER or anything? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
just EXACTLY how did that ball hit,straight on or did it kind of come 'down' into or onto your mouth,or upwards from beneath? was it from a hit or a throw(one would have much more velocity than the other)? this all kind of matters from a mechanisim of injury standpoint. were you at least checked out by a doc at an ER or anything? FB
Thanks for the reply.

I was playing catch with my friend. We are about 15 feet apart. Again he didnt whip the ball or anything. It was a real baseball. He threw it casually but I missed it and it hit me on the left side of my mouth, slightly above the lip. This happened about a week ago.

I havent been checked out by the doctor. There really wasnt any need.

Aside from bruising on my lip there really werent any symptoms.

Now I am really starting to worry. Could something as minor as this cause a brain injury?

Last edited by John_33; 06-04-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User

In retrospect, I've seen guys get hit much harder than what I endured. Much harder. I mean the ball was tossed, it wasnt beamed. I would say it was at a much lower velocity than a punch.

Could this all by caused by my fear? I really dont even know what my symptoms are? I am a hypochondriac, so could I be showing signs of fear?

After getting hit, the only thing on my mind was my swollen lip. This happaned 12 days ago.

These are the symptoms of a person with head trauma. I dont have any of them. Should I go to a doctor and get checked out?

Loss of consciousness, confusion, or drowsiness
Low breathing rate or drop in blood pressure
Convulsions
Fracture in the skull or face, facial bruising, swelling at the site of the injury, or scalp wound
Fluid drainage from nose, mouth, or ears (may be clear or bloody)
Severe headache
Initial improvement followed by worsening symptoms
Irritability (especially in children), personality changes, or unusual behavior
Restlessness, clumsiness, lack of coordination
Slurred speech or blurred vision
Inability to move one or more limbs
Stiff neck or vomiting
Pupil changes
Inability to hear, see, taste, or smell

Last edited by John_33; 06-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
(male)

coolied HB User

Hope you're feeling better by now but most likely you were just self-concious of your speech on a subconcious level due to the pain/swelling of your lip. Sometimes when the lip is swollen, it seems to take more thought to speak right.

Closed Thread