It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

shawnna77 HB User
Question Why am I dizzy and lightheaded?

Here is my story...

I fainted from getting dizzy with spins as I got out of bed 2 months ago. I went to the doc to find out why I was spinning. It was a possible case of Vertigo or labyrinthitis he said, so off I went for a CT scan and MRI. The spinning was in all directions, up down and clockwise. It happened if I got up, laid down. Only relief was not to move.

The spinning subsided a month ago. I now get up out of bed or from sitting and am lightheaded. Also, any aerobic activity is out of the question as I get lightheaded immediately after finishing any type of exercise. I have trouble typing as my fingers have now developed a tendency to stray from where my brain has been trained to send them. For example, I have a tendency to type everything with an "A" to also have an 'E', as in aepple. My job involves a lot of typing. Should I be alarmed that I have suddenly had a knack for typing in Latin without trying? I have trouble recalling words in conversation on topics I am well versed in. I was sent for more tests. He began to think it was not vertigo/labyrinthitis.

The results of these tests are as follows...

White blood cells in urine (I am female and apparently this is not a case for alarm)
Elevated Magnesium
Low blood pressure (80 over 55)
Possible UTI
Clear MRI and CT

I had nephritis as a child and have been tested later on to ensure it was completely gone. Otherwise, I have had no other health complaints, until now.

Is there anyone who can shed light on this for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
(female)

eavabug HB User
Re: Why am I dizzy and lightheaded?

Have they check your thyroid? I have a friend who is having the same symptoms and they think its her thyroid

Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Why am I dizzy and lightheaded?

The elevated magnesium sticks out as odd to me. Hypermagnesemia is rare.

I read on another website: "Other conditions that can predispose to mild hypermagnesemia are diabetic ketoacidosis (from long standing untreated diabetes), adrenal insufficiency, hyperparathyroidism and lithium intoxication."

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 06-14-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Closed Thread