It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
Unhappy Extremely Overactive Gag Reflex

My problem is there is the feeling of something in the back of my throat that causes me to get an involuntary urge to gag. I however have never actually gagged because when ever I get this feeling I immediately suppress it by swallowing hard or stroking the palate with my tongue. I have noticed this happening when I am running and even normal things when I am just talking. The main thing that is really bad about this, is my inability to run and exercise to stay in shape because of this problem. After a few minutes of running or exercising I get that feeling of having to gag. I have told doctors about this and one doctor said about the post nasal drip causing it and the other said I had a hyperactive gag reflex and I just have to live with it. What it feels like is that my uvula gets irritated somehow and it stimulates the reflex for no reason. I am currently taking swimming lessons, but this problem makes it almost impossible because when I am blowing the air out through my nose in the water, this also causes me to feel that sensation of gagging which causes me to stop to catch my breathe. I understand that there are many people who have an overactive gag reflex, but I have not read about it being to hyperactive that it affects someone like the way it does to me.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Extremely Overactive Gag Reflex

I agree with the doc on the PND. When i was so successful with a neti pot with other sinus type symptoms, i sent one to my friend in Florida. She will almost make herself vomit when brushing her teeth. Irrigating helps get rid of that feeling on your soft palate. It really helped her.. unfortunately she has a injured neck/shoulder and can't tip to irrigate. Her gag reflex is extremely sensitive also. For about $15 at CVS you can try it. You can also do a search on "how to use a neti pot" and there are videos you can watch. I would do it at least twice a day.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Gag Reflex while exercising

I have over-active gag reflex. You are right in that it feels like your uvula is swollen. The only thing I have found that helps is that I sip fluids constantly throughout the day. The throat and uvula dry out very easily, especially during exercise. If you feel it coming on, take some sips of water and see if that helps (I have to do that during house work).

Lindaru

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
(male)

I don't have the option of getting a drink of water in the middle of karate and even when I do drink the feeling just comes right back.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
(male)

i actually have a nose irrigator that i use from time to time but my allergies dont bother me during the summer and even using the nose irrigator doesnt really help with my sensitive gag reflex

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

You might want to explain your situation to a pharmacist and see if they have something over the counter such as a throat spray you can use before starting karate that will be longer lasting.

Sorry yours is so bad for you. Your doctor has never suggested anything you can do for it? Mine just told me to keep my mouth and throat hydrated and that seems to work good for me.

Best of luck to you.

Lindaru

Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
(male)

aceman626 HB User

i also have a hyperactive gag reflex...for 30 years...haven't found a solution yet, i think we just have to live with it unfortunately....i just had my tonsillectomy done (not for the gag reflex, but for pain and irritation in the tonsils) so i'll let you know if it helps.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
(male)

the doctors i have went to either had no idea and the one ENT doctor just mentioned post nasal drip. I will be going to another ENT doctor in philly sometime this month or next month.

I hear chloroseptic sprays completely numb the gag reflex. How long do those usually last?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
(male)

did it affect you to the point where you couldnt excersise to your full potential?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

It has been a long time since I used Chloroseptic spray (used it once when I had strep throat) but the numbing effect seemed to last at least an hour or until I drank something, whichever came first.

Hope this works for you!

Lindaru

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
(male)

i feel that the PND is what stimulates it but for what ever reason my gag reflex is so hyperactive that it gets stimulated by it alot or even by air hitting it if im breathing heavy from exercising.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
(male)

well I was planning it using it before I go for my swimming lesson but I guess it would wear off because of the water but it is still worth a shot.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
(male)

I tried the chloroseptic spray for swimming a few days ago. It was the regular equate brand. I sprayed it and and waited for 15 seconds but it didn't numb my throat at all so it didn't help with the gag reflex.

Closed Thread