It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
(male)

kristofer HB User
hives and other maladies.

Hi there. Thanks in advance for any insights.
I’ve been having some increasingly frustrating issues with my body lately. Basically, I’ve had hives for over three weeks. When I got what I thought was my first outbreak, I went to the doctor as they were quite bad, and the Doc and I decided it was an allergic reaction to the drugs administered during a wisdom tooth removal a couple days earlier. That, or the ibuprofen I was taking. I got some Benadryl and have been waiting, as I said, weeks for the hives to stop. They are never as bad as they were that one day, but still remain. They can occur any time during the day, but more often than not I am spared throughout the day until the evening and night. Benadryl half helps, when it doesn’t zonk me completely out. I began to wonder how I could still be reacting from the drugs that MUST have been gone from my system by now. I thought back, and recall that actually, the night BEFORE the operation, before any drugs were in my system, I had an itchy butt! I didn’t attribute the itch to hives but remember wondering why I was so itchy there. Thus, it seems the hives may have started before the operation took place and had nothing to do with the drugs.
Further, I’ve since developed a cough. The cough, rather like the hives, tends to spare me until the nighttime. I had a very slight soar throat during the early stages of the cough. If I lay down the cough gets ridiculous for a while, until I can finally get to sleep. I’ve had the cough for about a week. The cough produces phlegm if I allow a deep, whooping sort of cough. I’ve also had some very mild passing pains in my chest off and on since the cough’s onset. The pain feels like a sort of pressure behind my ribs. Holding my breath very hard to counter the pressure wards it off, sort of. If I clear my throat there is always something there. My nose is not particularly runny, but is just slightly runnier than it should be. Also, the cough seems more in my throat than deeper in my lungs. I also am sneezing.
So I’m wondering:
-Could the hives & cough be a result of seasonal/spring allergies? (sneezing, some mild runniness(sp?) of nose, cough, ...hives?)
-Could I have an unrelated to the hives case of pneumonia? (cough, chest pain, phlegm)
-Is the cough more likely a simple cold, due to the fact that it doesn't seem to be deep in my lungs, but more of a tickle in my throat?
-What about getting RID of these blasted hives? I’m well finished with them.
Thanks again. I think that’s it. I am going to the "real" doctor again in the coming week, but I just want some opinions here to either get me to the doctor sooner, set my mind at ease, or even just give me some data.
Kris

Last edited by kristofer; 06-27-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: hives and other maladies.

It could all be seasonal-allergy related, I would see an allergist or dermatologist as soon as feasible.

Or, you could be allergic to something else in your environment, maybe soap or something.

Cough could be allergy or cold (or something else). If you don't have fever or severe fatigue, I doubt it's pneumonia.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
(male)

kristofer HB User
Re: hives and other maladies.

OK, thanks!

Closed Thread