It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
(female)

chris031181 HB User
Red face Reaction to bleaching tray

Okay..This is going to sound biazarre..My sister is experiencing a weird problem. She works at as a dental assistant and has the really expensive bleach whitening trays. She uses it every other day or so for about an hour a day. She had them in and fell asleep for about 2 1/2 hours on accident. When she woke up, her teeth were very sensitive (which she said is a die effect) but didn't necessarily hurt her. She woke up the next morning and she was experiencing a weird sensation ALL day! She said it is sensitive, cringing feeling like when someone scrapes their nails against a chalkboard or someone scrapes their teeth against a wooden spoon...things like that! (I know this sounds crazy-bare with me)

She said it isn't painful but she has had that feeling all day. She said she can barely eat anything. The weird thing is that it doesnt necessarily have to do with anything touching her teeth. She said when she touches her finger tips to a phone or to a piece of paper or anything for that matter, she gets that cringing, tingling, sensitive feeling running down her body! The dentist that she works for is out of town right now so she can't go to her with it yet. Does anyone know what I am talking about or has anyone experienced this? The more she told me, the more crazy it sounds. She is one of those people that never complain about things so I know she is kind of weirded out by the whole thing... Any takers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Reaction to bleaching tray

This could have affected her sympathetic nervous system.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

First of all 2 and a half hours is WAY too long. Ouch! From everyone I have talked to in dental offices, friends and my own personal experience 30 minutes is pretty much all your should go at a time with those. Everything that is going to happen with your teeth being bleached pretty much happens within that 30 minute session. Bleach is like any other chemical. It will go into your bloodstream through any tissue. Your skin and inside tissue is the largest organ you have. I have to agree with the other poster, it could effect your nervous system. That is kind of scary. And most definately it could make your teeth extremely sensative. It can even take of a layer of enamel. This happened to a friend of mine. She left her tray in over night. Not good!
I am sure she will be fine but I wouldn't let it happen again. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

She will most likely be ok, but she should get her teeth checked for damage. And should not use the whitening tray again anytime soon.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

chris031181 HB User
Smile Re: Reaction to bleaching tray

Thanks for all of your replies! I will let my sister know! She usually keeps it in in longer than 30 minutes but she accidently fell asleep! I checked with her today and it isn't as exteme as it was 2 days ago. She said she is just really sensitive when she touches certain things. I just think this is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard! Thanks again for all of the responses!

Closed Thread