It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

mukki34 HB User
Septated Ovarian cyst cont...

Hi all,

I wrote last week re: cyst on left ovary.

My first external ultrasound was a bit unclear but indicated a cyst measuring 8.4 x 5.8 x 6.6cm.

I went for a transvaginal ultrasound about 2-3 weeks later and it came back saying the cyst was 6cm-no other numbers, just 6cm. My Dr. thought that maybe it had shrunk, but is referring me on to a gyno, as it now also appears to have septations.

I am terrified at this point. Septations, I believe, are not a good thing. Having a hard time as my brother died almost three years ago from cancer. His death makes this process so much harder and I am now 29 the same age he was when he died.

Estria gave me some great information last post, so thank you for that.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Septated Ovarian cyst cont...

Hello Mukki,

I am glad that I was able to help. Septations in an ovarian cyst don't necessarily mean you have ovarian cancer but the cyst will probably have to be removed and biopsied as this is standard procedure. These complex types of cysts are extremely common and as you probably know, most of them are benign (even the complex ones).

Your brother may have died of cancer but that does not mean that you will. Gynecological types of cancers that are connected through heredity would be passed on from mother to daughter and not from brother to sister. If you had said that your sister and mother died of ovarian cancer at the age of 29 then I would be more concerned but this is not the case. Each type of cancer is different and there are oh so many types. Don't forget that environment also plays a HUGE role in cancer development .. lung irritation from smoking for example.

Don't jump to any conclusions. Get that appointment with a gynecologist as soon as you are able and when you are having your internal ultrasound, ask questions. The ultrasound is a great tool for visualizing the cyst and seeing if it looks threatening or not. If you are overly anxious you will also want to discuss this issue with the gyne so that they can schedule you for surgery sooner in order to ease your mind faster.

In the meantime, work on yourself .. empower your body to be strong and healthy and feel good about doing something about your own health. This is something that should be done with or without cyst. It's a great way to feel good and in control of your own destiny.

Come back and tell us how you make out with the appointments and hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

mukki34 HB User

Hi Estria,

I have to say your advice and kind replies are so helpful to women dealing with this difficult situation. It is during these times that we all tend to meditate on our mortality and it can be very scary, so thank you for your responses. The kindness of strangers is so important.

I am worried about the septations, but, as a whole, I really don't feel unwell or have any of the typical ovarian cancer symptoms. I suppose I'm just extra sensitive because of my brother's premature death. I did research the link between my brother's type of germ cell testicular cancer and there are varying opinions about the connection between malignant ovarian germ cell cancer and the form of germ cell testicular cancer he died from.

Actually, ovarian germ cell cancers are highly treatable with almost a 95% curability with little chance of reoccurance. It is much more manageable than the more deadly form of ovarian cancer that most women get and which, I believe, affects the cells on the surface of the ovary.

As it stands now, I have a simple cyst with septations. My doctor said that it wasn't complex. Do you think that the gynocologist will do a wait and see approach? I would prefer to have another transvaginal scan to see if it has shrunk before they decide on laproscopic surgery. I'm not sure, maybe it's best to just have it removed and move on. If it is benign, then I won't have to worry about checking the cysts size all the time, which can be worrisome and annoying.

On a seperate note, you are so right to keep busy and be healthy. I'm finding yoga is giving me a sense of control in an otherwise random and out of control situation.

Thank you, again.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Mukki,

I am sorry to hear that your brother died of testicular cancer. Unfortunately this is a disease of the young (as opposed to say prostate cancer). I see why you might be worried about a possible connection. I would discuss this with your doctor and see if there is possibly a gene test that you can take. I do not know if this type of cancer would be related to the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes that are related to ovarian and breast cancer.

However, you need to keep in mind that if the worst case scenario where to become a reality (and that is still a HUGE "if"), you would still be in that 95% treatable stage. I am not sure how far along your brother's cancer had progressed before they found it but you are on top of your situation now so at the very worst you would simply require treatment that is practically guaranteed to be successful.

Now the big decision as to whether or not to have it removed or to have it watched will have to come from you after you have discussed these concerns with your doctors. If after taking your concerns into consideration they still say that you can wait and see, you need to decide whether or not you can live with this approach. If you find that you are obsessing too much about it and that it is affecting your life too much, then it might be better to opt for the surgery.

I myself have decided that I can live with having to have the ultrasounds every six months. My cyst has changed very little over the past year so they are quite sure that it is harmless. However, I am always concerned that it may begin to change into something worse but for the moment I (and my gynecologist) don't feel that it is dangerous to wait and see. I have also seen a few other doctors that also said that it looked harmless. I also do not have any symptoms from the cyst, except at ovulation and these I can live with. One thing I know I must do, cyst or no cyst, is to help my body to remain healthy and this cyst has actually been a wake up call for me. Since I was diagnosed with it, I have lost 40 lbs and I exercise everyday now. I am actually in better health now than before they discovered the cyst. Sometimes these things can actually help us to reprioritize our lives for the better.

I hope all goes well at the doctor's for you. Be sure to clarify your concerns with him or her and get a sound professional opinion based upon the facts and what, in their opinion, your anxiety level is willing to support. We are all anxious when we find out about a cyst on our ovaries but given the unknown, what kind of decision are we willing to live with. Surgery has its own problems and risks and one has to be willing to live with whatever down side may result in either case. This is personal and may even change over time so keep all of this in mind.

Take good care of yourself.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

mukki34 HB User

Hi all.

Just wanted to follow up re: my septated cyst.

I am 29 years old and I wrote a few weeks ago about a 6cm septated cyst on my left ovary. My gyno recommended laproscopic surgery to have it removed.

My Dr. was not at all concerned about ovarian cancer. He simply said that I was too young and that it was a very rare disease, but he did want to remove the cyst because he was worried that there may be torrsion/twisting of my ovary. He said it was like a woman wearing a really large earring and then having the earring twist the ear lobe.

I had my pre-op apt. today only to be told that the cyst was gone! Disappeared! Many weeks of worrying for nothing.

Regardless, I want to thank Estria for all her advice..it meant a lot to hear from others who have experienced this as well.

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mukki,

Well how about that ! Thank goodness you did not have to go through surgery for nothing. Your post gives me a lot of hope as I have not seen anyone with such a large cyst have it regress like yours did. As of last August mine was still there but who knows (mine is also about 8 cm like yours was).

This is indeed great news so go out and celebrate by treating yourself.

Take care of yourself and all the best.

Estria

Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
(female)

mukki34 HB User

Yes, it was a bit strange...after the first diagnosis I decided to step up my exercise regime. I quite like yoga and jogging, so I thought that if I really threw myself into, it may just naturally rupture. I guess it did...although I felt no pain. Yoga especially involves the pelvic and hip region and, if anything, I would credit this type of exercise for rupturing it.

Closed Thread