It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

joan473 HB User
last stages of cirrhosis of the liver

what to look for the in the last stages of cirrhosis of the liver

Old 09-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: last stages of cirrhosis of the liver

Chronic liver failure generally causes jaundice, weight loss, nausea, diarrhea, muscle spasms (charly horses), edema in the legs/ankles, dizziness from low blood pressure and severe fatigue.

Cholestasis is blocked bile flow, it can cause gallstones, jaundice, itching, easy bruising, spider veins, dark urine, bone loss, enlarged spleen, ascites (fluid in the abdomen) which can become infected - it can be tapped and drained if necessary, chills and abdominal pain.

Liver enlargement may cause a sensation of uncomfortable fullness but no other symptoms.

Portal hypertension is a big one. It can damage other organs, the spleen and kidneys, and cause varicies - internal bleeding. A friend of mine has liver disease and has had to have several blood transfusions because of bleeding varicies.

Liver encephalopathy is loss of brain function due to the build up of toxins the liver is no longer able to filter. Disorientation, confusion, changes in mood or personality, slowed speech and movement, impaired consciousness and eventually coma.

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/liverdiseases.html[/url]

Personally, I've found our local hospice workers very helpful in answering end of life questions in a direct and honest way. [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hospicecare.html[/url]

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 09-01-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread