It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

AGonzalez HB User
cyst with hip pain

My daughter is 13years old and 1 week ago she had a right side pain that radiated to her right leg. i took her to the hospital and in the ultrasound they found an ovarian cyst, I am hoping it will go away since she is about to have her period in about 1 more week. What worries me is that the pain has gone to her right hip. Is it normal for the cyst to reflect in the right side of the hip bone.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: cyst with hip pain

Hello AGonzalez,

First of all, how large is this ovarian cyst and is it a fluid filled cyst or something else ? If all your daughter has is a fluid filled cyst that is less than 5 cm then this is just a normal follicular cyst or corpus luteal cyst that women get every month and it will regress within the next few cycles.

I have heard of women having hip and thigh pain with ovarian cysts but my own personal experience has led me to wonder if sometimes things are not related and we have a tendency of saying that one thing is causing the other. I have an 8 cm ovarian cyst on my left ovary that has been there for approximately a year. My doctors are keeping an eye on it with ultrasounds and tell me that it is not dangerous. At the time the cyst was found, I was having left hip pain that went all the way down my inner thigh. I naturally assumed that this was due to the cyst but when I began to walk regularly and I lost some weight I realized that the hip pain was due to my having been sedentary for some time. In addition, I always had a tendency to sit on the couch by turning my left leg outward, folding it in and laying it on top of the couch with the foot almost under the butt .. sort of like a semi lotus position. I had done this for years and realized that by doing this I was probably weakening my hip joint. When I consciously stopped doing this and began to walk regularly and lost some weight, the pain miraculously disappeared. I still get it to a much lesser degree when I do not keep up with my exercise or if I start to fall back into my old habit of sitting in the wrong position and I immediately realize that these things were causing my hip problems. Sitting for long periods in the car with the hip turned outward will also not help. My cyst has been there the whole time so I do not think that it was the culprit.

I am not saying that this is your daughter's case but why check to make sure that her hip problems are not caused by some repetitive movement that she is doing first ? Check the obvious stuff first.

I hope your daughter's next ultrasound will show that the cyst has disappeared. Tell her to go when she is on her period as this is less likely to show cysts (that is if it is an external ultrasound).

Best Regards,

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread