It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

startracks HB User
Exclamation Toxic Poisioned,Soooo sick! Doctor doesn't know what is wrong with me. PLEASE HELP.

I have been ill for almost a year. I feel like I am suffering a slow death. Every day gets harder for me to get through. I am a 48 year old female who was is fairly good condition last year. Some have said I looked 10 years younger for my age. Well now I look 10 years older then my age!
I started feeling ill last Sept. One day I woke up and my legs were heavy. It felt like I was treading water when I walked. This lasted for 4 weeks. One day it just went away! I went primary care doctor who said I was just tired. I finally got a referal to see a neurologist.

This doctor sent me for an MRI of the brain and gave me a spinal tap to check for MS and Transverse Myalgia. There was a leion onthe pontine part of the brain but was nothing that would cause this problem with the legs. So....life went on. One day at work I felt like I was going to pass out for no reason. I could not walk and there was pressure in the head. I went to ER at the local hospital. Was checked out and told it must have been an inner ear problem. Put on antibiotics and life went on!

About 3 weeks went by....it happened again at work. This time I could not talk either! My co worker said my face changed. They thought Iwas having a stroke. I went to the Hospital again. This time the neurologist kept me there and ran more tests. I was in bed for 2 weeks. The doctors could not figure out what was going on. I was having episodes of unsteady gait,slurred speach, weird facial sensations,pressure in head,muscle twitches in body, zoning out like non responsive to anyone.
The doctor put me in an ambulance and sent me to another hospital that had a better MRI machine. I had a team of doctors poke and scan me for 24 hours and then sent me home even though I could not walk by myself! They said Iwas suffering from a brainstem migrane headache syndrome. They put me on Topamax. Weeks went by with no inprovement. One day I freaked out because my face started to go numb. First on one side then the other. It was scary! I called the doctor and he told me to stop the Topamax. I stopped the medicine and it kept happening. The Topamax was not causing this to happen. Life started to become crazy. I could not drive or work anymore. Someone had to be with me all the time.I got very depressed and cried most of the time. All they want to do is pop anti depressents in me now.

Several visits to the doctors office with no luck for an answer. More MRI tests and CTscans. Istarted having this odd sensation that I was weighted to the bed in the moring. My body felt really heavy. It was hard to walk around my house or go up and down the stairs. I felt like everything was shutting down inside. My hands and arms were going tingling and then numb.The pressure in my head was so intense it felt like I was going to pass out. This went on for months! I was walking in A Walmart store when I got hit with another episode. I barely made it to the service counter. The lady called 911 and the ambulance came to get me. I went back to the local hospital were the doctor signed me in again.

More MRI and now a MRA test a long with urine and other blood tests. Another 2 weeks in the hospital. I cried and cried.....they gave me Atavan to calm me down. I felt like I was going to go insane if I did not get answers to my health problems. The only thing good that happened is that I quit smoking the last time I was in the hospital and have not gone back to it. I was getting worse and worse without anyone knowing the answers. The doctor decides to sendme to another hospital in an ambulance. I ended up going to New York City. I was shipped to Mt. Sinai Hospital for 6 days. I got there on a Friday night. NO TESTS DONE ON THE WEEKEND.....Don't ever ger sick on the weekend! Monday came along with a team of VERY young Interns that asked a lot of questions. There was no other testing done other then blood work and urine tests. They said m insurance would not pay for anymore testing after the first 72 hours. They wanted to send me home on Tues. morning. I was 200 miles from home without knowing a soul and $20 in my pocket. I sarted to cry like crazy......AS BAD AS I FELT I GOT EVEN MORE UPSET. The doctor came in and gave me an attitude. She must be pre menapausal because of her crazy symptoms and the crying. WELL IF YOU HAD BEEN POKED AND SCANED AND NOT DIAGNOSED FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND STILL FELT SOOOOO SICK.....you'd cry too!

I was sent home and saw my doctor again for a follow up. He can't believe they didn't domore tests in N.Y. but now he wants to see if he can get me to The Leahy Clinic in MA.
I have been home for almost 2 weeks now since I saw him . Every day becomes a harder day for me to get through. I wake up sick to my stomach with a horrible paste taste in my mouth....My face and skin feelis like I have lost sensation in them. Almost like a wax feeling on my body. I can't lift my head up for any great period of time without feeling like I'm going to passout. I can't ride in a car beause the movements make me sick. My left hand shakes with a palsy like tremor, I am totaly depressed over the situation. I call the docs office and leave messages of how bad I feel. He orders me a med for the nausa but in the mean time what about ME? The Clinic in MA doesn't except my insurance.... I felt ok enough to write this today in hopes that someone out there might be able to give me information that would help.

I thought of what I had done in my life last year that could have changed my health like a creeping huricane that jusy keeps getting worse as it rolls. The only thing I did was see the dentist last year and move into a new house. The dentist drilled out some old Amalgam silver fillings that were broken and replaced them with with composite fillings. I looked back and discovered that I got ill a few days after each dental appointment. I started reading up on a online website and thought I was mercury posioned. Doctors don't believe in this stuff....they refuse to even talk about it. But n the mean time I need to get better. My family is sick of me being sick and so am I ....No one knows how bad I feel inside other then me. I guess you never know how bad it can be till it happens to you. I can kinda understand how the cancer patients must feel each day after a treatment., or perhaps hw the elderly just try to get by each day with their health problems. I feel like that inside and it is not nice at all!!!!!
I don't think my house is making me ill because I have been in the hospital for long periods of time and still was sick in there.
IF THERE IS ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP......PLEASE DO. I am at the end of my rope with this......I want my life back! I need to go back to work to support my family and pay my bills so I don't loose my new house.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User
Re: Toxic Poisioned,Soooo sick! Doctor doesn't know what is wrong with me. PLEASE HEL

Hello startracks...what a living nightmare you are going thru!You've come to the right place....most of us have and are going thru horrible health issues also.We are here for you and we will listen and try to offer any help we can.

Okay...I read your post very carefully and it is overwhelming to me how the drs./hospital just seemed like they gave up on finding out what is causing you to be sick.Seems like that is happening more and more often......really frightening if you ask me my opinion.

Listen you seem like a very intelligent person.You know you're ill and you even pin pointed the time and events that happened when you became ill.The whole dental thing makes a lot of sense to me.I have gotten extremely ill everytime I have gone to the dentist also.I even asked my MD about it and he didn't say anything!Later I just started thinking about everything and anything that was similar when I would go to the dentist and theonly thing I could come up with was that Iwas taking antibiotics at the time.I suffer from an occult(hidden) B12 deficiency so then later I realized and found out that the antibiotic I always had was also lowering my B12 level so that made sense to me,but also I still can't figure out the whole dentist thing...I'm actually afraid of going in for any dental work now.Last time I went I just had a teeth cleaning and the same thing happened...so I do believe there is something to this dental thing.I also have a Chiari I Malformation and I'm thinking that might have A Lot to do with it.

You said you had a brain MRI,right? Did they look for Chiari? Do you know what Chiari is?

There is a person on this board and her name is Cindy and she is like an angel to all of us here.

Cindy....Please Post!!!! Do you think dental work could have an ill effect on Chiari patients????

You have been thru so much startracks and I know it's hard to be strong and brave,but you will get thru this.I know all too well the lonely,awful feeling of being sick with a mystery illness.........all you want to do is find a doctor to "get you out of the woods" and when they can't you feel hopeless.....but don't let it get you down...drs. nowadays are really not what they should/could be you know?It just takes research on the patients part(yes we have to do the work!)so that we can educate the drs.(I know that sounds really funny & strange,but it's soooooooo true!).

Like I mentioned before I was diagnosed with a complicated B12 problem and drs, said they couldn't find anything wrong with me....so I kept going to drs. for like 3 years and then I remember showing my husband my "well-read and well-loved"medical book and pointing to "pernicious anemia" and I said "that's what I think I have!"....I was right and the hematologist confirmed it with a diagnosisMine is not the classic kind...of course I have the "hard to find hidden B12 deficiency-kind".

Then I got sick(really sick ...the kind of sick like you are experiencing) and I went thru a nightmare(just like you!).So don't give up...you will get better.....there is always hope....always!

Take care>I mean that< I'm very happy you came to this board!

Scout~

The following user gives a hug of support to scout316:
EpisodicI (06-19-2011)
Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User
Re: Toxic Poisioned,Soooo sick! Doctor doesn't know what is wrong with me. PLEASE HEL

Hi Startracks~

My heart is truelly going out to you because I've been where you are and its a very lonely place. Scout told me about your post so I wanted to come over and offer you some support too. Scout gave you some wonderful advice and she is such a sweet and compassionate person

I went through getting sicker and sicker and didn't get any help. My legs became weak and your explanation of treading water is so familiar. It took me a very long time but I was finally diagnosed with Arnold Chiari Malformation. There are so many things that can be going on that can present symptoms as your experiencing. But theres hope, really there is. You just can't give up

If you'd like to join us on the brain and nervous system board, theres several others that are going through very similiar circumstances. Having a place to go where you can gain some support is very helpful while your struggling through this.

I hope you find some answers soon!!

Take care

Cindy

Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
(female)

startracks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys601 View Post
Hi Startracks~

My heart is truelly going out to you because I've been where you are and its a very lonely place. Scout told me about your post so I wanted to come over and offer you some support too. Scout gave you some wonderful advice and she is such a sweet and compassionate person

I went through getting sicker and sicker and didn't get any help. My legs became weak and your explanation of treading water is so familiar. It took me a very long time but I was finally diagnosed with Arnold Chiari Malformation. There are so many things that can be going on that can present symptoms as your experiencing. But theres hope, really there is. You just can't give up

If you'd like to join us on the brain and nervous system board, theres several others that are going through very similiar circumstances. Having a place to go where you can gain some support is very helpful while your struggling through this.

I hope you find some answers soon!!

Take care

Cindy
Cindy,
Thank you for your post back to me. I had a bad day today and it was nice to see someone responded to me on the board. I was not sure how to go about posting and I think I got moved around . I had first posted on the brain and nervous system board along with a couple of others. I think you can only be on one board at a time. I don't even know how to change it all now.I will try to figure it out and move to be with you.
I hate feeling so alone through all of this. My family loves me but they are frustrated with it all. I have 2 girls 17 and 20 and a son 24 years old . The girls live with me. They are burn victims from our house fire we had in 2005. They are the strongest individuals I will ever know. I feel like a crying baby sometimes when I get upset infront of them. They have been to hell and back with scars for life and I am the one crying because I don't feel well.
Just when everything was starting to get better for all of us.... this has to happen to me . I am so worried about our new home and how we will be able to keep it if I don't get better. I am sorry, there I go rambling.
Again, thank you for your support. It's nice to have people to relate to.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
(female)

startracks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
Hello startracks...what a living nightmare you are going thru!You've come to the right place....most of us have and are going thru horrible health issues also.We are here for you and we will listen and try to offer any help we can.

Okay...I read your post very carefully and it is overwhelming to me how the drs./hospital just seemed like they gave up on finding out what is causing you to be sick.Seems like that is happening more and more often......really frightening if you ask me my opinion.

Listen you seem like a very intelligent person.You know you're ill and you even pin pointed the time and events that happened when you became ill.The whole dental thing makes a lot of sense to me.I have gotten extremely ill everytime I have gone to the dentist also.I even asked my MD about it and he didn't say anything!Later I just started thinking about everything and anything that was similar when I would go to the dentist and theonly thing I could come up with was that Iwas taking antibiotics at the time.I suffer from an occult(hidden) B12 deficiency so then later I realized and found out that the antibiotic I always had was also lowering my B12 level so that made sense to me,but also I still can't figure out the whole dentist thing...I'm actually afraid of going in for any dental work now.Last time I went I just had a teeth cleaning and the same thing happened...so I do believe there is something to this dental thing.I also have a Chiari I Malformation and I'm thinking that might have A Lot to do with it.

You said you had a brain MRI,right? Did they look for Chiari? Do you know what Chiari is?

There is a person on this board and her name is Cindy and she is like an angel to all of us here.

Cindy....Please Post!!!! Do you think dental work could have an ill effect on Chiari patients????

You have been thru so much startracks and I know it's hard to be strong and brave,but you will get thru this.I know all too well the lonely,awful feeling of being sick with a mystery illness.........all you want to do is find a doctor to "get you out of the woods" and when they can't you feel hopeless.....but don't let it get you down...drs. nowadays are really not what they should/could be you know?It just takes research on the patients part(yes we have to do the work!)so that we can educate the drs.(I know that sounds really funny & strange,but it's soooooooo true!).

Like I mentioned before I was diagnosed with a complicated B12 problem and drs, said they couldn't find anything wrong with me....so I kept going to drs. for like 3 years and then I remember showing my husband my "well-read and well-loved"medical book and pointing to "pernicious anemia" and I said "that's what I think I have!"....I was right and the hematologist confirmed it with a diagnosisMine is not the classic kind...of course I have the "hard to find hidden B12 deficiency-kind".

Then I got sick(really sick ...the kind of sick like you are experiencing) and I went thru a nightmare(just like you!).So don't give up...you will get better.....there is always hope....always!

Take care>I mean that< I'm very happy you came to this board!

Scout~
Hello Scout,
Thank you for your post to me. I left one back to Cindy also. I looked up her illness online( Arnold Chiari Malformation) and I don't think the doctor looked for that on my MRI. I did have a MRI of the spine also that came back normal so I don't think this is what it is or t would have showed up on the spine MRI.

I know what you mean when you say we have to tell te doctors what to look for sometimes. Doctors just don't want to take the time to listen to people anymore. It sad to say but it's all about movng you in and out as fast as possible. Time is money to them. We are the ones who suffer with bad insurance coverage and doctors who jut don't care . I happen to like my doctor I have through all this but he does get me mad at times when I call and call the office to get voicemail and no return phone call for a week.

He told me that he was going to try to get me in the Leahey Clinic in Ma.
That was right after I was discharged from Mt. Sinai Hospital in N.Y. on 9/24
I called Leahey myself on Friday. The man said he was going to check into it but he was not aware of this doctor calling for my addmission.He also said they don't except my kind of insurance! So....where does leave me?

About half way through all this garbage I started doing my own research online. I spoke with the doctors about the dental thing. Of course you know they look at you like you have three heads. No doctor wants to believe anything if it isn't backed by the FDA or the ADA. If you google "AMALGAM FILLINGS " you will discover ther are thousands of people out there who have been posioned by this suff but the doctors don't want to believe it or treat it.
If they edmit that people are sick from the fillings then there would be lawsuits to every dentist in the world! Not to mention the FDA and the ADA (american dental assoc.) for telling anyone that this stuff is toxic and dentists are told it's ok to put it in your mouth!!!!
I FOUND A HOLISTIC DENTIST WHO DOES NOT USE AMALGAM AFTER ALL THIS. They are hard to find and most of them do not except insurance.I feel safe with this person. In fact he gave me a holistic remedy that made me feel better for awhile.That is another story.....
Be careful where you go when going to the dentist.......The guy who drilled out my amalgam fillings without protecting me from the vapors has been my dentist for over 20 years! They are brainwashed to believe that there is nothing wrong with amalgam......it's 50% mercury!!!!!
Be careful......

Old 10-05-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Startracks~

I'm sorry to hear you were having a bad day but I'm glad the posts made you feel better. The boards are so helpful. Although we can't tell you whats wrong, we can offer a place to let out our frustrations and that is what we need while we're going through all of this

You can be on more than one board at a time. Just start a new thread on the brain and nervous system board. Me and Scout are there all the time.

You really have been through so much!! Living through a fire and having to reestablish a home, thats tough. I'm sorry your children had to go through that as well. But being strong, all that has turned them into survivors and now they can get through lifes many hurdles. And this, with their mom being sick, will be one more.

Your life is alot like mine, with similiar circumstances. I have a daughter 16 and 2 sons, 18 and 20. They were all victims of sexual abuse from their father. We left the day it was disclosed to me. My daughter was 2 1/2 and I started a new life with my kids. It wasn't easy and the kids have had alot of issues to deal with. Things started getting better about 6 years ago. I remarried a wonderful man, took over my family's buisiness which was able to give our family a good life and the kids were doing well. Then bam, my illness hits and I am forced to give up my job.

But ya know, my kids told me that they were really happier when we were dirt poor because they had their mom around more and now, they could have me around more again. So for us, we try to look at it from a possitive perspective and that helps.

I try not to dump my issues on them too, so I know how you feel. When your kids go through something traumatic, you don't want to put them in the middle of another drama. And what your going through is definately just that. I know, I've been there. But even when you try to keep it from your kids, they know. But you'll all get through it together

And when you need to cry and don't want to do it in front of them, come here. It helps. We're here and your not alone. OK?

Take care

Cindy

Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
(female)

tee626 HB User

Cindys601......thanks for your post! ALL of my health problems began with dental surgery and meds! Wow! I wasn't sure it was the cause but after reading your post it seems very likely. I have been thru living hell. I am still not completely well but I know more now and feel I am on the right track. I don't trust dentists or doctors! They know nothing about nutrition OR how adversly the drugs can disrupt the EcoSystem in your body.
There is tons of research info online about the carcinogens in the numbing meds!!

Tee626

Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Tee~

Generally I'm on the brain and nervous system board. I hope my post wasn't too misleading because I didn't stress my condition. I actually have a brain disorder called chiari malformation. My brain is being sqeezed into the spinal canal, compressing my nerves, causing a coctail of neurological symptoms. In the beginning, my Dr's thought I had MS but when my tests came back "normal" they gave up and I was left to a long road to my diagnosis.

Its very sad when our symptoms get dismissed by drs and it definately makes us less trusting with the medical profession. You really just have to find a Dr who is open enough to listen. There are some left out there

I hope your on a better path feeling better and you have found a way to feel better. I know murcury can present alot of neurological issues. I know myself that I will inquire about this myself, next time I need a filling.

Take care

Cindy

Closed Thread