It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

jeffiner71 HB Userjeffiner71 HB User
headache, sore neck, rash ???

My husband woke up about three weeks ago with a very sore neck. He said it felt bruised from the inside out. He also had a headache. He has had the neck pain and headache for almost three solid weeks. He is just finishing a course of antibiotics. His doctor didn't know what was wrong but gave him the antibiotics to see if it helped to clear it up. It hasn't seemed to. This morning we noticed that he has a rash, small spots spread out, all over his torso. Does anybody have a clue what would cause these symptoms? He is going to call the doctor again Tuesday. It is a long weekend unfortunately. I was thinking perhaps someone may have had something similiar and it may save us some time if we could make suggestions to the doctor. Thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: headache, sore neck, rash ???

Whoa! Any fever? His symptoms (headache, stiff neck and and a rash) sound like meningitis.

The thing that doesn't fit is the duration, three weeks is a long time. Meningitis tends to progress rapidly in days or even hours, viral meningitis often resolves by itself after 7 to 10 days. (antibiotics don't work on viral illnesses)

A ton of different virus' of can cause rash. The medical term for a non-specific viral rash is Viral Exanthem.

If he develops any fever at all I'd suggest ya'll go to an ER and not wait for the doctor.

Hopefully, whatever it is, this rash is it's last gasp!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Wow, my first reaction was the same as AuntieLeela - meningitis - but the time frame doesnt fit. But it's definitly time for urgent visit to the doctor (ER if one isnt avalible asap) and definitly ask for blood tests.
I hope he feels better soon.
J

Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

He did have a fever when he was at the doctor's office. My first thought was meningitis or encephalitis, but like you said, the time frame isn't right. There are more cases of EEE here than anywhere else that I know of. I am really concerned. He insists that he will wait until Tuesday and go back to the doctor. If he gets any worse, I will make him go to the ER. As of now, the headache isn't bad, but it is constant. He is able to touch his chin to his chest. Thank you for your replies. If we get a diagnosis, I will post. If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear it. I am thinking that this is just some kind of nasty virus.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

He could have shingles. Shingles gives you lots of pain, a rash and the list goes on and on. It's not serious but needs treatment so that it doesn't cause any worse effects.

Is the rash in the place where he hurts only? Has he ever had chicken pox? You have to have had chicken pox in the past to get shingles.

God bless and feel better fast. Prayers are with you!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

Ah, B143C. I have been pondering this poor mans symptoms. Shingles is a very solid explanation! Apprently it can be very draining.
Jeffiner, did the rash start on his back and then spread around his torso? Shingles tends to follow the nerve routes.
I really hope he is feeling a little better while he waits for the doctor.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
(female)

After doing more research, I am convinced that it is Rubella (German Measles) He has all the symptoms and the rash looks just like what we have found on the internet. He is going to see if the doctor is in tomorrow. There is no treatment for it but he works in a high school where there are not only pregnant staff but students too. I guess, from what I read, adults can symptoms a while before rash appears. The symptoms are headache, swollen lymph nodes in the neck causing soreness, fever. My son had the MMR shot about two weeks before my husband got sick, but they say that the vaccination does not make you contagious. I did research shingles, and thought that may be it too, but the rash doesn't go in a band, it is random spots all over his torso that have gotten redder as the day has gone on. Thank you again, I will let you know what the doctor thinks.

Closed Thread