It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

tshelley HB User
Question Is a 102 fever for a 5 year old too high?

My 5 year old son has a fever of 102.2. Should I take him to the ER or just try to let it come down on its own??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
(female)

jcjwillis HB User
Re: Is a 102 fever for a 5 year old too high?

How long has your five year old had the fever? It could be a virus and if it is it will have to run its course but if it is an infection other than virus an antibiodic might be needed.

If you are very concerned I think that a phone call to your doctor would help to ease your mind.

Hope your 5 year old feels better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
(female)

can0079 HB User
Re: Is a 102 fever for a 5 year old too high?

There are many things that can cause a fever. Is their ear pain, pain with urination, vomiting? If you know the cause of the fever then you know when to be concerned. How is the fever affecting his behavior? Were it me and the fever had lasted more than 48 hours without relenting I would take the kiddo to the doctor for a visit. My pediatrican says that until they have a fever over 101 it isn't a fever, lol that is real easy for him to say. However, he does have me treat fevers above that aggressively to keep the children from getting dehydration. He told me to give the kiddos a dose of tylenol followed by a dose of motrin four hours later and rotate those every four hours if the fever returns. It generally works really well to keep their fever down and I get them to drink some gatorade and soup.
Good luck, call your doctor to at least speak with a nurse and ease your mind. It will help you at least.

Closed Thread