It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

sealthreinhold HB User
Neck, Back, Scapula, Rib Cage Pain!

Hi there,

I have a serious problem. As of late, I have a tremendously sharp pain in the upper right portion of my back/scapula/rib cage. When I inhale and exhale deeply, it feels worse. I was in an auto accident nearly a year ago, and I did not see a doctor or chiro. I had minor neck and back pain, which soon went away. Eight months after the accident, I started to feel pain in my back area, and then eventually pain in my neck. I started to get knots in my back, which I could massage out, but the overall pain of my back and neck was too much so I finally went to see a chiroprator. I've gone four times now, and I may be a little impatient, but I don't feel much better. I actually feel like the pain has extended into into my right arm as well. This overall pain hurts, but the worst part is, it is limiting my function and my happiness. I'm 24 and I am going back to school soon, but with my back in this condition I feel like my energy is down as a result. I don't like it. I'm going to be talking with my chiro to see if there is anything else I can do.

Has anyone experienced this sort of pain?
Did you see a doctor, a chiro, a physical therapist, a massage therapist?
How long did it take before you saw results?

My chiro said that my back pain is caused from my neck, but it's funny how my neck doesn't actually hurt. For a while I thought a good massage in my back would heal my back pain, but I guess it's not healing the root of the problem.

Thank you,
I appreciate any words or insights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Neck, Back, Scapula, Rib Cage Pain!

just a word of caution. since you never had any types of scanning done post accident,i would really hold off with the chiro til after you obtain at least an MRI on your c and t spine areas to check for possible problems. not all injuries will show themselves right away,some take time to really inflame and irritate possible nerves before they present with pain,numbness weakness muscle problems/trigger point development in the muscles or a host of other symptoms. the fact you are having alot of muscle inflammation can be indicative of underlying spinal issues going on. without ever having those areas checked post MVA,you and your chiro have no real way of knowing just what is going on at the very important nerve and spinal cord levels. neck injury can also cause possible vascular problems too,it all depends upon just how badly you were injured and where. honestly,at this point,i would be asking your primary doc for at least an MRI to be done on your c and upper T spine areas,just to make sure you know whats under there,espescially if you are continuing to have adjustments from any chiro. without that MRI,the chiro really doesn't have a clue either just what he is actually "adjusting',you know what i mean? i had several issues going on within my c spine and the one thing i was told by my neurosurgeon was thankfully i had never gotten chiro adjustments,becasue in my case,it could have casued major problems for me.

once you know for certain just what may or may not be involved or injured in there,then let that be your guide. i am not knocking chiros,believe me,i used to see one way back when,but without the benefit of that MRI,there are just way too many unknowns here right now. you just really NEED to know how things are within that area that just does not show up with a simple x ray. the nerves,spinal cord and the vascular structures just all need looking at before you continue on with the chiro,which from what you have stated here really isn;t actually "doing' much for you but making things worse right now? just do the better safe than sorry thing here ad obtain that MRI. at least then you will know more just what is going on up there and more importantly if the chrio adjustments actually have made a situation worse or could if you keep going without just knowing for certain whats wrong. personally,i would not take any chances here when it comes to your c spine or spine in general. i live with spinal cord injury and quite frankly,it really does suck. this(MRI) can prevent alot of future problems just by actually 'seeing whats up inside the column. good luck to you. please let me know how you are doing,K? FB

Closed Thread