It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
(male)

vikasintl HB User
Swelling (edema) on right leg what that can be due to?

Swelling on right leg of a 36 years old girl.What could be the reason for that?
Do u think it could be due to Plan B (morning after pill) ?
Why do the doctors ask if swelling disappear when you elevate the foot?
what is the clinical significance of that question? what are they trying to find out from that question?

What are the main sign and symptom of kidney malfunction?
when you have unilateral edema does that exclude kidney problem?
or does that exclude deep vein thrombosis?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Swelling (edema) on right leg what that can be due to?

have you actually had your kidney labs done just to see where they are at? have you been confirmed with some type of a kidney disease? i have a kidney and liver disease myself. i read your other post too and i also have edema,but not as bad as when i weighed more than i do now(right now i hover between 96-92 lbs). i have problems gaining weight due to sympathetic nervous system damage,but i still know i have some level of,at times even pitting edema in my lower legs and by the way,under my eyes too. the reason they want to know if it goes away with elevation is it could be a circulation issue too. just having your kidney labs checked along with obtaining just a simple ultrasound on them would really give you a better picture of whether or not you indeed have some level of kidney disease going on. doing a urine dip is also needed to check for things that just should not be in your urine like protien. one of the earliest indicators of an underlying kidney problem is having protien in your urine. so getting that checked along with everything else i mentioned really would be able to tell you alot about your kidneys.

is there a family history of kidney problems? why do you think your kidneys are the issue? is it just the leg swelling or other symptoms too?

just an FYI for you here but when you do have a DVT going on,generally,you also have heat,redness,swelling,usually more in the area of the clot, some pretty severe pain at times. if you do not have any of these accompaning symptoms,then chances are,you do not have DVT. you can as a precaution tho get an ultrasound done on those leg veins too. i had to have this done a few years ago.they all checked out clear and okay. my swelling and heat and pain was from what is called RSD,not a clot.

have you had any testing yet done on your kidneys? if not,get what i recommended,this really would be the best way to know one way or another. swelling in our legs can happen for many other reasons other than kidney issues. if you have this,you just need to find out why. good luck and please keep me posted. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

vikasintl HB User
Lightbulb Re: Swelling (edema) on right leg what that can be due to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
have you actually had your kidney labs done just to see where they are at? have you been confirmed with some type of a kidney disease? i have a kidney and liver disease myself. i read your other post too and i also have edema,but not as bad as when i weighed more than i do now(right now i hover between 96-92 lbs). i have problems gaining weight due to sympathetic nervous system damage,but i still know i have some level of,at times even pitting edema in my lower legs and by the way,under my eyes too. the reason they want to know if it goes away with elevation is it could be a circulation issue too. just having your kidney labs checked along with obtaining just a simple ultrasound on them would really give you a better picture of whether or not you indeed have some level of kidney disease going on. doing a urine dip is also needed to check for things that just should not be in your urine like protien. one of the earliest indicators of an underlying kidney problem is having protien in your urine. so getting that checked along with everything else i mentioned really would be able to tell you alot about your kidneys.

is there a family history of kidney problems? why do you think your kidneys are the issue? is it just the leg swelling or other symptoms too?

just an FYI for you here but when you do have a DVT going on,generally,you also have heat,redness,swelling,usually more in the area of the clot, some pretty severe pain at times. if you do not have any of these accompaning symptoms,then chances are,you do not have DVT. you can as a precaution tho get an ultrasound done on those leg veins too. i had to have this done a few years ago.they all checked out clear and okay. my swelling and heat and pain was from what is called RSD,not a clot.

have you had any testing yet done on your kidneys? if not,get what i recommended,this really would be the best way to know one way or another. swelling in our legs can happen for many other reasons other than kidney issues. if you have this,you just need to find out why. good luck and please keep me posted. FB
Thanks a lot for your time and answer...
You feel that she does not have DVT because she doesn't have any other symptom mainly pain but I read that sometimes DVT can be symptom less.
She doesn't have history of any kidney disease but she does have family history of eczema and asthma so we were also thinking that it might be due to dermatitis..what do u think?
you are right we should get the kidney tests done also ultrasound to check veins.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Vikasintl . . . I am going to chime in on this because two things you just said, family history of eczema and asthma, sound like my Mom. She had eczema and her brother had asthma really bad. She developed asthma later in life and was severely ill by her mid thirties. She also had an adult case of scarlet fever that she nearly died of before the following came on.

She developed but went undiagnosed for many years eosinophilia (a blood disorder). When she started developing severe leg edema, she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. It is not that common for someone that young to have it but I wonder if the two conditions prior may have set her up for this.

After checking her kidneys, I would check her eosinophile level in her blood. Also, if you notice strange variations in her heart rate or blood pressure, you may want to see if her heart is enlarged.

Let us know how it goes!

Lindaru

Old 12-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
(male)

vikasintl HB User
Question Re: Swelling (edema) on right leg what that can be due to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaru View Post
Hi, Vikasintl . . . I am going to chime in on this because two things you just said, family history of eczema and asthma, sound like my Mom. She had eczema and her brother had asthma really bad. She developed asthma later in life and was severely ill by her mid thirties. She also had an adult case of scarlet fever that she nearly died of before the following came on.

She developed but went undiagnosed for many years eosinophilia (a blood disorder). When she started developing severe leg edema, she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. It is not that common for someone that young to have it but I wonder if the two conditions prior may have set her up for this.

After checking her kidneys, I would check her eosinophile level in her blood. Also, if you notice strange variations in her heart rate or blood pressure, you may want to see if her heart is enlarged.

Let us know how it goes!

Lindaru
Hi do u think swelling could be due to her excessive scratching her eczema skin when she can't control itching/

Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

I would say yes except that Mom had eczema in various places but only her legs swelled and then in later stages of her congestive heart failure, she would swell in her abdomen as well as retain fluid in her chest that had to be drained. Might be worth asking about though.

Let us know how you and she do.

Lindaru

Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

regarding the possible DVT? i am not a doc so i cannot say here for certain whether she does or does not actually have one,but not showing those symptoms along with getting that ultrasound would rule it out anyway. but the kidney tests,if you feel this could be an issue just should be done. getting labs,ultrasound,or just getting that urine dip (and the labs),would show whether or not that protien is present. i had protien in my urine that popped up at my job physical. this was not a test that was done thru my regular doc,so he was not aware of it. when i was told this many years ago,i had no clue at all just what having protien in your urine ment for me so i kind of blew it off. i didn;t know at all that i had actually been born with a congenital kidney disease til my youngest son was Dxed with it after becomming deathly ill at age 12. i was like 39? years old when i found out i had actually been born with this particular kidney diosease. my labs are still within the normal range unbelieveably,despite huge cystic kidneys that are around four times their normal size sitting in my body.

what changes labs is the loss/affect of functions. when they change,the labs change too. that doesn;t happen in some cases til well after alot of damage has accumulated within them. this is why that urine dip and the ultrasound(getting that 'look') is so very important in catching it in the earlier stages BEFORE the labs change,you know what i mean? if a urine dip shows protien in the urine,other testing IS most definitely needed to show why it is there. her doc will take a look at her legs too and evaluate what he or she sees as any sign of possible DVT. some signs are just there when a vessel gets blocked. depending upon what the doc thinks,she may or may not get sent for that US done on them. something other than just edema would indicate a more underlying problem generally with DVT. please keep us posted on anything you find out. good luck, FB

Old 12-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

Not sure if you are still following this thread but I would seriously recommend that you get your girlfriend to a physician. The morning after pill can most certainly affect blood clotting agents and thrombophlebitis needs to be ruled out with a doppler ultrasound. This is done very quickly by a radiologist and does not cost that much. If the clot is superficial all she will need is leg elevation and anti-inflammatories such as Advil or Motrin. If the clot is in a deep vein (ie. DVT) then the treatment will be more aggressive with blood thinners such as warfarin or lovenox. DVT is nothing to play around with so get your girlfriend to check it out asap. A clot in a deep vein of the muscle tissue can travel to the lungs and cause an embolism (an emergency situation). It is not uncommon for young women on birth control pills to experience this phenomenon and the ultrasound needs to be done to rule this cause out.

Hope I have helped and happy holidays.

Estria

Closed Thread