It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

yumyum HB User
Bruised lower spine bone

I have a bruised lower spine bone. It is not my tail bone and it is not a herniated disc. I had xrays and they show no fracture but an xray will not show a bruise, according to a doctor. I'm panicing! I don't go see my primary care until Monday, does anyone have any suggestions? It feels like I backed up into a counter cormer but have not had any injury........feels like a bruise but I am nervous it could be something more. The bruised feeling is specifically on that lower spine bone only. If touched around the area it doesn't hurt at all.

Last edited by yumyum; 01-15-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding more info

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Bruised lower spine bone

your right,an x ray will not pick up a bruise,but an MRI would show possible soft tissue type of damage. if you really have some major concerns about this,just speak with your doc about sending you for that MRI. it would show any possible injury to not only the soft tissue but anything that could have also injured your spinal column and whats inside it,down to the cord level. how DID you injure this particular area? knowing your mechanism of injury would just really help to figure out what "could' possibly have become injured,not just bruised.

using ice for the first couple days post injury will usually help with pain and to bring any real swelling down,but after that,heat is usually a good thing to switch to,unless heat BRINGS on pain,then stick with ice. ice is a wonderful pain reliever that also brings down swelling. i use it alot for some of my pain syndromes and generators. it all depends upon the actual pain generator and how it responds whether you use ice or heat really. an anti inflammatory like advil or aleeve is also a good idea for pain. its usually pretty good for trauma pain,unless there is bleeding. trauma just brings on inflammation to the tissues,so this does tend to work pretty well.

just see your doc for an eval and a possible MRI to that area if there is any question of a deeper type of injury. like i mentioned above,alot of how this will be managed and handled really depends more on just what you actually did to this and how it became injured in the first place. if you happened to actually fall on it,then you would probably need that MRI just to be certain nothing else became injured too. good luck and please keep me posted. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

yumyum HB User

Thank you for your advice. I did use ice and now am onto the heat which does feel good. I just hope the heat isn't deceiving the pain. The funny thing is that I did not injury it. Atleast, I don't recall an injury. I didn't fall, and it feels as though I backed up precisely into a corner of a countertop right into that bone but I didn't do that either. The doctor said that maybe I did it shoveling snow but I don't recall and it isn't a muscle issue so......I'll post again after seeing my own doctor on Monday. Again, thank you so much.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

now that IS very strange. chances are,if you don't recall any real injury to that area,it "could" be a spinal issue of some kind. shoveling snow i KNOW (i live in MN and we do this alot) can set off or make things with the spinal nerves and the discs become much more apparent,it all depends upon the actual generator that was underlying. you "could" have very well injured this area long ago but it never really showed itself til something(age is a good one) just triggered it and made it show itself,you know what i mean? it just was not symptomatic til now. if this persists i really would ask your doc to have this area MRIed. that would actually show in most cases just what could be creating this for you. good luck at the appt,please keep me posted. FB

Closed Thread