It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

robine27 HB User
Question Iron high and other abnormal labs?

My hematologist ordered the following bloodwork:

FE(Iron) 155 high (range 35-150)
UIBC 48 low (range 126-382)
Calculated TIBC 202 low (range 250-450)
Transferrin Sat 77 high (range 15-60)
B12 1200 high (range 208-964)
Ferritin 28 (range 5-204)
Hematocrit 41 (range 36-46)
Hemoglobin 13.7 (range 12.0-16.0)
Platelets 128 low (range 159-400)
RBC 4.25 (range 4.20-5.40)

I had the gene test for hemochromatosis and I have one gene- She said you need two genes to have the disease. I am having an MRI of the liver to be sure there is no iron deposits in my liver and repeat blood tests at the same time. I do not take any iron supplements. Any ideas of why my labs may be
out of range and what the UIBC, Calculated TIBC, Transferrin Sat mean?
Platelets have been low for at least a year and she said that is ITP (autoimmune) I also have celiac, hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, and autoimmune addison's disease.
Thank you for any information.

Robine

Last edited by robine27; 02-11-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: copied wrong number for range

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

vocalist1945 HB User
Re: Iron high and other abnormal labs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robine27 View Post
My hematologist ordered the following bloodwork:

FE(Iron) 155 high (range 35-150)
UIBC 48 low (range 126-382)
Calculated TIBC 202 low (range 250-450)
Transferrin Sat 77 high (range 15-60)
B12 1200 high (range 208-964)
Ferritin 28 (range 5-204)
Hematocrit 41 (range 36-46)
Hemoglobin 13.7 (range 12.0-16.0)
Platelets 128 low (range 159-400)
RBC 4.25 (range 4.20-5.40)

I had the gene test for hemochromatosis and I have one gene- She said you need two genes to have the disease. I am having an MRI of the liver to be sure there is no iron deposits in my liver and repeat blood tests at the same time. I do not take any iron supplements. Any ideas of why my labs may be
out of range and what the UIBC, Calculated TIBC, Transferrin Sat mean?
Platelets have been low for at least a year and she said that is ITP (autoimmune) I also have celiac, hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, and autoimmune addison's disease.
Thank you for any information.

Robine
I also had the genetic hemochromatosis test and the PA said that right now I would
not have to have a phlebotomy....................my iron is over 470!!
But I don't think she knows what she is doing because I only have the one genetic
marker for the disease, and in your post you said you had to have two markers to
actually have the disease. Do you know any more about your condition since you
posted in February?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I *think* that you can still overload without the full blown HH gene and just be a carrier overloading, I think.............It's a little complicated.

Are you saying your iron or Ferritin is over 470? What is your iron Sat %? you can always do blood donation at this point. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

robine27 HB User

Since February I have had an MRI of the liver. There is no iron build up in the liver. I saw a gastroenterologist. He agreed that with one gene I am a carrier of hemachromatosis.He asked me to drop my vitamin C dose as vitamin C increases iron absorption. So dose was dropped to 1000mg or less daily. I had been on about 2000mg daily due to having surgery last year and taking hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone for addison's disease which interferes with healing a bit. I dropped the dose a few months ago. Then labs were repeated a few days ago and are worse now than the last time.
I just got the abnormal results today. Don't have the full report but labs are as follows.

FE (Iron) High 156 -was 155 last time (range 35-150)
UIBC low 43-was 48 last time (range 126-382)
TIBC low 201-was 202 last time (range 250-450)
Transferrin high 79-was 77 last time (range 15-60)
Platelets low 147 but good for me. I am usually 125 or so.

I will probably have the full lab report within a week. I will post anything else of interest at that time like Hct, Hgb. Not sure what my hematologist will recommend this time. Should hear from primary, hematologist or endocrinologist within a week or so.

Robine

Old 06-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

robine27 HB User
Cool Re: Iron high and other abnormal labs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robine27 View Post
Since February I have had an MRI of the liver. There is no iron build up in the liver. I saw a gastroenterologist. He agreed that with one gene I am a carrier of hemachromatosis.He asked me to drop my vitamin C dose as vitamin C increases iron absorption. So dose was dropped to 1000mg or less daily. I had been on about 2000mg daily due to having surgery last year and taking hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone for addison's disease which interferes with healing a bit. I dropped the dose a few months ago. Then labs were repeated a few days ago and are worse now than the last time.
I just got the abnormal results today. Don't have the full report but labs are as follows.

FE (Iron) High 156 -was 155 last time (range 35-150)
UIBC low 43-was 48 last time (range 126-382)
TIBC low 201-was 202 last time (range 250-450)
Transferrin high 79-was 77 last time (range 15-60)
Platelets low 147 but good for me. I am usually 125 or so.

I will probably have the full lab report within a week. I will post anything else of interest at that time like Hct, Hgb. Not sure what my hematologist will recommend this time. Should hear from primary, hematologist or endocrinologist within a week or so.

Robine
I received the report of the rest of my labs.
Hematocrit 41 (range 36 to 46)
Hemoglobin 14.0 (range 12.0 to 16.0)
RBC 4.29 (range 4.20 to 5.40)
Ferritin 53 (range 5 to 204)

Since everything except those labs noted in the quote above are normal, it is a wait and watch and check labs again on October 1st. My labs that were abnormal may be a bit higher due to nice weather and grilling a fillet mignon every week-end (tender and easier for my celiac GI system to digest) Also that my gut has finally healed and I am absorbing food and nutrients better than I ever have in the past. I don't eat much meat at all in the cold weather months. All my other labs that were off are now in the normal range as well- high cholesterol, low Vitamin D, high PTH, low magnesium, low potassium-all okay. So all the vitamins and supplements have worked very well. Amazing that cholesterol has improved even after 6 weeks of eating steak for two meals a week!

I also think that when many of my labs were off, things were not working right in my system throwing other things off. Now that my GI system has healed with the celiac meal plan and digestion is better, everything else is beginning to work the way it is supposed to work. It has taken 5 years to get to this point! Time to be grateful and happy.

Robine

Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
(female)

farmgirl4 HB User

i was diagnosed with hemochromatosis in june of 03. i have the double mutated gene. this condition causes stomach erosion and i have been fighting this for 10 yrs now. the doctors decided that i needed to have my gallbladder taken out and the surgery was botched. the doctor clipped the sphincter duct and also damaged the vagus nerve. my ferretin levels are 161 and rising and the doctors are telling me that i don't need to do anything else. i am sick every day and don't know who to talk to about this or where to turn because all of the doctors here tell me the same thing. if eveything is fine then why am i so sick and still in major pain 10 yrs after my gallbladder surgery and liver biopsy? someone please help me!!

Closed Thread