It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
(male)

frugaleater HB User
Big thirst after big meal

Every week, my Dad and I go to Old Country Buffet and eat alot until we're full. I figure we might as well since we already paid and it's all-you-can-eat. But soon after the meal, we both get really thirsty. Someone once told me that it's because of the high salt content of the food there.

My question is: Does really high amounts of salt cause health problems? I assume that if we drink plenty of water at the point of getting so thirsty makes it alright since the body is getting what it needs, but is it true?

I should add that I don't have a weight problem. I'm 5' 6" and weigh 145lbs.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Big thirst after big meal

Yes, some restaurants do use a lot of salt.

In some people, salt elevates blood pressure. If you don't have high blood pressure, eating excessive salt usually isn't too harmful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I agree about sodium causing you to be thirsty, however, there is another thing that might come into play.

Eating more carbohydrates than your body can handle will cause an overload and the body becomes thirsty to help wash out the overload of glucose in the body.

Have your been tested for diabetes? If not, you would be wise to do so.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
(female)

xxlovestoryxx HB User

yeah it just might be too much salt in the food

Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

frugaleater HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
I agree about sodium causing you to be thirsty, however, there is another thing that might come into play.

Eating more carbohydrates than your body can handle will cause an overload and the body becomes thirsty to help wash out the overload of glucose in the body.

Have your been tested for diabetes? If not, you would be wise to do so.
I have been in the past (tested) and nothing was found. I may go back for one soon, now that you mention it.

Closed Thread