It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Bad experience having blood drawn

You aren't gonna believe what happened to me. Four days ago I was having blood drawn to check Vitamin D levels and Cholesterol. The first girl drawing blood seemed incompetatant. She poked me about 5 times in one arm and couldn't get a vein. She went is all different directions. I felt a sheering pain go through my arm like a knife serating my vein, a muscle, nerve or tendon. The pain was burning and excruitiating. I said did you get it? She said no! I said stop you are hurting me....I counted at least 5 sticks. Then she moved to the other arm and tried 2 times. Both unsucessful and they hurt. She said to me...I am gonna get another nurse to come in an poke on you a bit. The next nurse came in and tried 2 times on the right arm (the one less sore) she got a couple of drops and then it stopped. Once again, unsuccessful. She said...sorry...but you could be dehydrated. You should leave for an hour and drink a bunch of water and come back...we will try again. I knew full well I wouldn't be back that day. My arms were stinging and I cried on the way out the door.

I left from there ironically to get the stitches out of my left leg. I had had vericose vein surgery the week before. Everything is healing up nicely concerning my leg.

Over the weekend I was still on the pain killers for the leg so perhaps I didn't notice anything but small twinges of pain in my left arm where the first gal had tried to draw blood. This morning (Monday) I work up with swelling in the location near the elbow where she had poked me. It was puffy, tender and a little red. Then I noticed if I moved my arm a certain way that there was a debillatating shooting pain going up my arm and sometimes down it. Like a shock out of no where. This scared me. I missed work and went into the doctors office. She was baffled too. I told her what had happened. I told her I was concerned of a blood clot because of my recent surgery and where I had been poked. To rule things out she sent me immediately to a radiologist and I had an ultra sound done of my entire arm. From Neck to wrist. The ulrastenographer and doctor both said they did not see a blood clot. So I was told to apply moist heat and take Ibuprofen again. I am so frustrated.

Do I probably have nerve or ligament damage? Could it be something else? How long is the healing? I am a massage therapist and this of course is ruining my work for now. I can't massage one handed.

Has anyone has a similiar expercience with a needle and any kind of pain or damage? Please help or comment. thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Bad experience having blood drawn

sooo sorry you were forced to have to go thru that nightmare and what you are dealing with right now too. at least this is not a clot issue so thats great. the on thing i wanted to mention to you mostly here is to watch and document every single thing about this whole incident and make dam sure to complain LOUDLY to your primary doc to ge this incident noted in your medical files too.

the thing i would really worry about right now, is seeing if this all heals properly. the one possible thing you can actually get from an experience JUST like yours, is called RSD(reflex sympathetic pain syndrome) or the newer name CRPS(complex regional pain syndrome. the stupid idiots who were tryoing to draw your blood very easily could have not only infiltrated the veins(thru and thru),but could have also caused some level of both vascular and nerve damage too. sometimes in certain people, ONLY because our blood vessels are governed by the sympathetic nervous system(dilation and constriction of)this particular syndrome just kind of 'sets in'. they really do not yet fully know just all the "whys" about this whole condition but that it just can happen iunder certain circumstances. very insane syndrome let me tell ya.

i have this in my R knee on down thru my foot as a result of my SNS being damaged during a spinal cord surgery. it just usually, when that SNS gets damaged directly, will create itself and actually show up in some area of your body that has had a previous injury of some kind,and it does not have o be a severe one either. my crap hit my knee only because of severe inflamation i already had there along with some strucural damage present then too.

but in YOUR particular case, just having possible damage to that SNS from the mess they made out of your inner arm, well considering your current symptoms, this just 'could, and i am only saying 'could' be the presentation of RSD or it is just the inflammatory response that would simply be there following any type of trauma. what they did to you WAS a trauma to those vessels and tissues,and who knows about the nerves too.

i would seriously be documanting all of what you see and feel there anywhere along that arm and hand every single day from here on out. get a journal or just use a notebook. but you really really need to be watching this very closely and noting anything at all you see or feel and also go back to the beginning with this whole thing too,everything that was done and who did and how many times. that was simply appalling.

my son has a liver transplant and believe me,he has probably had to have an amount of blood draws just since 99 when he went into failure,to now then most people would never actually see in there whole lifetime. we have had our own 'experiences" with stupid techs,trust me. one good suggestion for you for the future? ask anyone who draws on you to simply use whats called the "butterfly"? this has to be done a bit lower from that inner arm crease and the needle just HAS TO remain paralell to the vessels to even get it to "slide into it it"? it is done the very same way someone would actually start an IV on you? the needle has to be paralell to vessel. there is much less pain involved as well with this type and alot less trauma for you too. it also lowers any risk of infiltrating the vessels since it has to stay even?

but i would really be documenting things for a couple of reasons here. this IS an injury to you that if it somehow does not actually heal properly(causing possible disabilities for you) or it does end up turning into what i really hope it doesn't,you will simply really NEED all that for any doc who is going to treat you and possible legal action if this does not actually heal the way it should. it is just covewring all bases here that matters right now. hopefully this will heal normally for you and everything will get back to you soon. but just do what i mentioned to be covered. i would also do some reserch on the RSD and CRPS just so you know what this is and what it can present like. some of the symptoms you have could indicate the possibility,thats all. but you should know about this. search also using the key words "veinapuncture" along with RSD or CRPS too. like i mentioned to you above, many people get this condition the same way you just went thru. i actually do think there are a couple of those people on the RSD boards right here just a scroll on down to the "R" section? i would ask down there too. just so you know hon.

i am hoping this all heals nicely with no problems for you, just be aware of this one possibility and document the heck out of everything having to do with it too,K? this is just one of those better safe than sorry deals, unfortunetly for you. i wish you some good luck with all this. please DO keep me posted ted, FB

Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi feelbad...here I am again a year and a half later writing you about my arm again. I had that incompetant blood drawer. Throughout the year I had a few moments of pain that I know stemmed from that area. Last night I remember waking up feeling a weird stinging pain inthe arm in the same area of my arm or just parallel to it. Its in the crease of the elbow. So this morning its tender. Its red but not bad...I think its because I was rubbing it. I am freaking out because I worry if its a bloodclot. Could the damage from the blood draw come and go for years?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I am sorry this happened to you, and it was NOT your fault in any way, but if they don't get a vein on the first two sticks in the future, ask them to have someone else try. The same person shouldn't be trying more than twice (unless you are not in pain and don't mind that they are "learning" on you.)

I know it's difficult to speak up, but it's your right to ask that someone else try after two attempts.

I hope you heal quickly and well.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

nice to hear from you again ted, but sorry you had to even pop back in here. whatever may be causing this right now, i WOULD in your particular case at least get that area evaluated? it was alot of underlying trauma done to that area and it still can have some level of more permanent type of damage too(esp since you mentioned you had 'twinges" during this past year?)? it was insane what they put you thru at all back then.

is this area at all 'hot' or hotter than the surrounding area? blood clots will usually not always tho generate some level of 'heat" when a clot is formed or forming, along with swelling, redness, depending upon just how it actually just 'is' inside the vessel? were you able to regan full function of the whole arm and fingers too or were there areas of like loss of sensation or anything 'lasting"? i would see how today goes with this and if it does feel or look worse than it is right now, get this looked at by your doc. you just really do not truely know since you cannot visually 'see" into that whole surrounding area and into that vessel just what real tissue or inner vessel wall type of damage may still be there? it could also possibly create a certain level of scar type of tissue too. but if this is not right, get it checked out for YOUR sake and safety, considering what took place there hon. please let me know what you find out. hope all is well. FB

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks to both of you for responding. I woke up with my arm better this morning but then as the day went by there were twinges of pain. There is no redness or heat going on. Just shooting pain down in that leads to other areas. And sometimes achiness. I can't help but think it is from possible scar tissue. The only thing I did different that I haven't done in the last year was lift arm weights at the gym. It was a few days before the onset of this. I hate to bring this up to the clinic where it happened but I am going to have to. If this is a lifelong problem then I don't want to have to pay for these doctor visits when they had a nurse who jabbed me 9 times. I felt like I almost needed a sling the past couple days while I was working with the kindergartners where I work.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
(female)

DDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB User

I would talk to the Manager of the clinic and never let anyone try more than twice. There are rare times especially being dehydrated it can be difficult to get a vein but if you never had problems before it sounds like these lab techs need more training. I always prepare my vein while in the waiting room palpating it and try and leave my arm hanging to pool the blood. If you've had a hard time before I would ask for a hot towel to bring up the vein. Sorry to hear about the pain and hope the nerve pain goes away soon but may take longer. Also try ice to take down the swelling alternate warm wet cloths. Hope you get better soon.

Closed Thread