It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

Teresa Teets HB User
Liver Cyst

HI I am new here. Not quite sure how to use this. I recently had a EGD. My Dr. Then ordered a Cat scan with brium swallow and IV contrast. He said the Cat scan detected Liver Cyst. He now wants to do a MRI. I am a 52 year old female. Scared in Springfield, OHio. Can anyone assist me with Liver Cyst. thank. Teresa Teets

Last edited by Teresa Teets; 04-27-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

applecollector HB User
Re: Liver Cyst

Well doubt I will be much help,

But I have just had an MRI with a cyst found and enlarged liver, my family dr is not concerned seeing how all the blood work was normal. I do go back to the gastro Dr this week to see what he says. but the enlarged liver is causing me pain under rib cage, guess just because it is enlarged.

Family Dr said cyst were somewhat normal, and did mention a biopsy---unless they knock me out no biopsy. I just went through a colonoscopy with not being knocked out--just pain med and I felt every inch of that thing, so nothing else is being done to my body unless they are putting me under.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

teresa, just wondering if they have checked your kidneys for possible cystic development as well? there are just a few different types of kidney diseases that can also affect other organs too, like usually the liver. its just something that if it has not yet been looked at, really needs to. if you are going to have that MRI, it would be able to also see the kidneys as well. then it would at least get that look see. if this is just one simple cyst, they usually do not pose any major issues.

my liver and my kidneys are actually covered both inside and out with huge globs of cysts from whats called PKD(polycystic kidney disease). this is one of the most common genetic types of kidney disease. it just can like i said,affect other organs too. unbelievably, despite all the very real damage i have to the liver and kidneys, all my labs are in amazingly still normal ranges. i am only 48 years old right now with this and found out when i was actually 40(but had it my whole life). this is about the time that it normally presents itself. if you are 52,and nothing else has shown, you would not have to worry about this one disease.

one cyst should not really impact anything. most are just kind of "there". they are commonly found, just the one simple cyst, within kidneys too. at your age,you may have like one in each kidney too, but like i said, it is not really abnormal. they can just pop in for no real reason with age. good luck with the MRI. please let us know how things go. FB

Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
(female)

Teresa Teets HB User

Thank you for your input. My cat scan showed I had a 4mm non-obstructive calculus on the lower left pole of my kidney. Also a left ovarian vein dialated at 9mm in size. But I had a total hysterectomy at age 30. Thanks again and keep responding!! It is nice to talk to someone. I am a patient care technician. Sometimes it is scary when the problem relates to you; and you already know some information. Have a great day. Teresa

Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

Teresa Teets HB User

my MRI showed a 9mm lesio on the right lobe of my liver; as well as a small lesion on the left lobe of my liver. I am still scared with all this mess going on inside my own body!! Teresa Thanks for caring and sharing!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

Gertie001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecollector View Post
Well doubt I will be much help,

But I have just had an MRI with a cyst found and enlarged liver, my family dr is not concerned seeing how all the blood work was normal. I do go back to the gastro Dr this week to see what he says. but the enlarged liver is causing me pain under rib cage, guess just because it is enlarged.

Family Dr said cyst were somewhat normal, and did mention a biopsy---unless they knock me out no biopsy. I just went through a colonoscopy with not being knocked out--just pain med and I felt every inch of that thing, so nothing else is being done to my body unless they are putting me under.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
(female)

Gertie001 HB User

Hope you have followed up on the liver cyst with your doctor. I had been told I had a liver cyst but it was in a spot that made it hard to get to. I never had any symptoms of anything amiss until years later. I woke up one morning and could not move the abdominal pain was so severe. I bit the bullet and tried to ignore it for 2 days, finally went to the ER. Sonogram, x-rays and CT scans showed my cyst was huge, (size of a coccer ball) and it was leaking contaminating my abdominal and pelvic cavity. Again, I have never had any pain, discomfort or any signs that the cyst was growing. I was admitted and while I was in the CT scan machine the cyst was drained. I felt pain for about 3 seconds than blessed relief. I was put on IV antibiotics and a drain was inserted so drainage could continue. The drain was removed and it was virtually painless. I was discharged with two high dosage antibiotics. I'm starting to get back to normal. I was told that I was very close to dieing. If you need to be sedated or put under tell this to your doctor. He will give you something that will keep you from feeling pain, but do not ignore the cyst. Left untreated, cysts can become life threatening.

Closed Thread