It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

candi13460 HB User
low blood platelet

my step son is 16years old and his blood platelet keep dropping down .he has really never been sick for the last 16 years but the last 3 mouth he has verry low platelets he been going to lourdes hospital in bighamton ny and they really don,t know whats going on with him yet ..thanks s for your time. we need answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: low blood platelet

There are several causes for that. The one I have is known as immune thrombocytopenia (ITP). The body's immune system makes antibodies which turn against the platelets and destroy them. Mine haven't yet been low enough to put me in danger, but if it gets to that, there are treatments to boost them fast and high enough to alleviate the immediate danger of a major bleeding event.

Prednisone (or other steroids) and IVIg are the two first-line treatments for dangerously low counts. If those fail, there are others.

If your stepson has not seen a hematologist, he needs to. I hope the cause of his illness is identified soon. Best wishes to all of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
(female)

kristent HB User
Re: low blood platelet

you should for sure ask about itp i also had it when i was younger and low platelet count is the biggest sign look out for any bruising or small red spots if he gets these you need to see your doctor asap.. dont worry if it turns out to be itp it is easily treated with steroids and once its treated it normally goes away for the rest of your life.... good luck and hang in there

Closed Thread