It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Alore HB User
Got shocked by a Hot wire yesterday

I was petting a pony that my in laws board yesterday. The owners put up a hot wire and I was being really careful to avoid touching it. It had rained so the grass was wet. I don't know how it happened (it was so quick) but I moved back slid my arm back to stand up and somehow my arm touched the wire. All of a sudden it felt like my heart was squeezed and my muscles contracted. I was able to jerk my arm back just fine. After the initial shock wore off I felt fine

Yesterday afternoon though I felt worse. Chest pain, muscles spasming (sp?) and felt like I wanted to pass out. I laid down for a bit till I felt better. Then last night after slowly feeling better I got worse again.

Today my chest still hurts, back muscles are really sore and I feel like I still have electric passing through various muscles. I'm really tired and just hurt.
I don't have any medical insurance and my husband lost his job so I can't afford to go to a Dr. Thought I'd get opinions here. The hot wire is 110-120v. Will this clear up in a few days or should I be worried? I had felt at times I had heart problems and I feel this has just made that issue worse. Anyways any advice is appreciated, thanks. Oh was also wondering would taking Ibuprofen be bad?

Last edited by Alore; 06-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.

 
Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,338
rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Got shocked by a Hot wire yesterday

I think you are probably ok and the sensations you're feeling are anxiety related because you're worried about it. I have been shocked before, one time it felt like I flew across the room Anyway, usually when you're shocked, it can affect the heart rhythm, but I wouldn't think it would last this long. I'm sure what they have running through there is just enough to keep the horses in and not kill anyone Try to relax and stop worrying about it.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 611
Kiasmama HB User
Re: Got shocked by a Hot wire yesterday

I agree. You may have had a little initial muscle contractions and might be a bit sore from that, but those fences are just meant to shock a bit, so it's not anywhere near a dose that is harmful to any animals. They are just designed to give you a "bite" and seems it did. I'm sure you are fine.

 
Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Mattykrab HB User
Re: Got shocked by a Hot wire yesterday

WOW!.... I hate to be the odd one out, but be aware that this is REALLY terrible advice. From what I understand its uncommon for low voltage electrical shocks to cause latent defects, but I heard a story about a guy in the LA movie industry who received a 110v shock, was dazed for a moment but appeared fine, did NOT go to the doctor, and ending up suddenly dying a week later. OSHA classes will teach you to always get checked out by a doctor in the event that you receive an electrical shock.

I wouldn't screw around with it, especially if you actually feel heart flutters. I mean jesus...

At the same time, I've known many people who've been shocked by 110, including myself to a degree, and are fine.. But keep in mind that these weren't situations where they were standing in puddles and potentially taking a really decent shock through their heart. Not worrying about it is very poor judgment for you guys in my opinion.

Last edited by Mattykrab; 07-11-2009 at 11:01 PM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
pain or experience with wire removal in second toe dislocation osteotomy deedeeartist Foot & Ankle Problems 0 04-22-2009 10:42 AM
Got Shocked By Electrical Cord B143C Open to All Other Health Topics 4 04-07-2008 06:37 AM
Shocked and worried Sharon76 Bowel Disorders 15 10-02-2006 11:20 AM
Wire Cutters For Braces boricuaitaliano Dental Health 1 09-06-2006 09:23 PM
K Wire removal? melgag21 Foot & Ankle Problems 3 07-05-2006 08:00 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Administrator (48), Titchou (43), quincy (33), janewhite1 (32), JJ (28), ladybud (24), Misty800 (17), feelbad (15), ibake&pray (15), shisslak (14)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!