It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
(male)

fjd2009 HB User
Persistent Tickle - Cough for 10 days - help!

Can someone please help me? I am at my wits end with this tickle - cough!!!

6/10: complaints of slight fever, body aches and persistent tickle in throat - (cannot sleep lying down due to coughing).

6/11: went to primary care doctor. Tested for flu virus via nasal swab: confirmed positive for Influenza A by rapid test and Quest analysis. Given 10mg Tamiflu tablets twice a day for 5 days. Also given Promethazine VC Codeine syrup for cough - (does nothing to help cough).

6/15: called doctor saying I am no better - still cannot sleep lying down and must sleep sitting up on the couch - coughing does not stop. Gave me Tussionex Pennkinetic syrup - (does nothing to help cough). Also given Benzonate 200 mg tablets for cough - (does nothing to help cough).

6/17: called doctor again saying no progress on cough. Given Predisone 10mg tablets (30 total) to be taken as prescribed over 10 days. I still cannot sleep lying down and the tickle in my throat is there all the time waiting to be coughed up. Also tried Vicks Custom 44 Care Dry Cough otc syrup - Dextromethorphan - which does nothing to control the cough.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
(female)

kris45 HB User
Re: Persistent Tickle - Cough for 10 days - help!

You obviously have a virus and those can be pains! The cough can last a very long time, up to a month with these. But they are miserable! The first thing that came to me was you might need an inhaler. Have you ever had asthma? Chances are you have a wheeze cough with this (whether you have had asthma in the past or not) and an inhaler might help ease things. The steriod should have helped somewhat but an albuterol and steriod inhaler might have a better effect. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Mucinex over the counter will help thin mucous and make easier to get rid of.

Halls Cough drops helps with the cough.

Keeping a cool mist vaporizor going in bedroom will also help.

Slep with head elevated on a stack of pillows.

The cough caused by the flu stays around for a long time.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
(female)

cj1986 HB User

Could be acid reflux. I had never had problems with this before, and then all of a sudden I got sick (flu like symptoms, was diagnosed with a respiratory infection). It cleared up but I constantly felt the need to clear my throat. After a couple months i went to an otolaryngologist who diagnosed it as acid reflux. He said the coughing from the infection could have caused it. I took prilosec otc for a few weeks and tried to maintain an special diet based around acid reflux (no citrus, caffeine, and other things that were known to contribute). After a few weeks I started to notice it decreasing, and a month or two later it was gone.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
(female)

rfstar02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjd2009 View Post
Can someone please help me? I am at my wits end with this tickle - cough!!!

6/10: complaints of slight fever, body aches and persistent tickle in throat - (cannot sleep lying down due to coughing).

6/11: went to primary care doctor. Tested for flu virus via nasal swab: confirmed positive for Influenza A by rapid test and Quest analysis. Given 10mg Tamiflu tablets twice a day for 5 days. Also given Promethazine VC Codeine syrup for cough - (does nothing to help cough).

6/15: called doctor saying I am no better - still cannot sleep lying down and must sleep sitting up on the couch - coughing does not stop. Gave me Tussionex Pennkinetic syrup - (does nothing to help cough). Also given Benzonate 200 mg tablets for cough - (does nothing to help cough).

6/17: called doctor again saying no progress on cough. Given Predisone 10mg tablets (30 total) to be taken as prescribed over 10 days. I still cannot sleep lying down and the tickle in my throat is there all the time waiting to be coughed up. Also tried Vicks Custom 44 Care Dry Cough otc syrup - Dextromethorphan - which does nothing to control the cough.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fred
Did anyone test you for acid reflux. Sometimes that goes into your throat and causes that cough?

Closed Thread