OK so about a week ago my top lip swelled up. It started from the middle of my lip and then swelled up in both directions until my entire top lip was swollen. I applied ice to it but it only swelled up more. I then put some allergy blocker cream on it since I figured it had an antihystemine (sp) in it and it would help if it was an allergic reaction to something. The only thing I could figure was that I was some how allergic to almond oil because I had never had it as far as I know and we cooked with some that night. I eat almonds in my chocolate and have never had this happen but I am not sure if either the chocolate sort of blocked the allergic reaction or if there is something in almond oil besides the almond that I am allergic to. The next morning it was still swollen but had went down quite a bit and proceeded to go down the rest of the day till that night when there was no swelling left. Well, here it is 1 day shy of a week later and my bottom lip started to swell on the left side. I noticed it when I started getting that numbing feeling in my mouth again and saw that it was red and starting to swell on one side. A few hours later it worked it's way up to the entire left side of my mouth. It's mainly the area beside my mouth and not so much my lip this time. I have that tingling feeling on the left side of my face that tells me the swelling is spreading and now I have a slight tingle on my right cheek bone area which means maybe the swelling is moving to the other side of my face. I did not have any almond oil or anything else unusual to eat or drink today that I haven't had recently and I wasn't around anything different today such as plants or animals that I might me allergic to either. I do smoke so I am not sure if maybe there is something in the tobacco that I am smoking that is doing this. I am smoking my usual brand of cigarettes but maybe something different got into a few of the cigarettes and that is what is causing it although I find that highly unlikely that maybe one or two cigarettes out of two different packs had something different in them that I am allergic to. I do not know what is causing this. Please help!
Last edited by motherslove1027; 06-30-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Absolutely anything can cause an allergic reaction...it could be something you normal eat and enjoy. A friend of mine loves apples and ate them all her life and one day her mouth/lips were are swollen. As time went on she discovered whenever she ate apples her face got all swollen. She even tired cooking the apples and the same thing so no telling what is causing your allergy. And it was only one type of apple...the ones she normally eats of course. It can also be a lipstick, lotions or any medicines. The only thing to do is keeping track/log of everything you put into your mouth and the times your lips/mouth swell. If swelling gets too bad you should also take a couple of Benadryl pills.
The only thing I can think of that I had both days would be that I drank tea and that I smoked. I drink tea everyday though and I smoke everyday including the days in between the two days that I got the swelling and my face and mouth didn't swell then. I also use the same lotion and soap. The only thing I did both of those days and not the ones in between was that I went outside and sat by the pool to watch my kids swim. Can a mosiquito bite do this? I ask just in case I might have gotten bitten by one on the face both days and didn't know it.
Oh wait, I just remembered. Both days I took an Equate Ibuprofen because I had a headache. I use to take one almost everyday because of migraines but I haven't had to take them here lately with the exception of the two days that I got the swelling. Could this be the cause? Am I now allergic to Ibuprofen? I know I'm already allergic to asprin and if I take that it causes some swelling and if I am allergic to Ibuprofen then what would I be able to take for heardaches? Could an expired bottle of Ibuprofen do that or is it just any Ibuprofen? I have had this bottle for some time and taken these exact ones but maybe they are now causing swelling because either they are so old or because I am allergic to Ibuprofen now.
I agree that keeping a journal of what you do and what you eat, etc. is a good idea. But please be aware that if you have any tongue swelling, coughing, or difficulty breathing you need IMMEDIATE medical attention. Never hesitate to call 911 in this potentially dangerous situation!