It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
(male)

iann HB User
Blood Extraction

Okay, so my mom had to get a blood test today.

The nurse put a needle through different places trying to find a vein but to no avail. She then put the needle on the back of her hand at the corner below the pinky finger. At this point my mom was in a very uncomfortable amount of pain but the nurse insisted on trying to extract blood through this point. In a few seconds she passed out and was extremely dizzy and unbalanced for about a half hour before she was able to properly stand up. The surrounding area of the hand has darkened quite a bit and my mom was told not to submerge her hand in water. From what I gather, one of the other nurses also told my mom that they might have put the needle in the wrong place.

The thing I'm worried about now is if there will be any effects from this. Is this normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Blood Extraction

Hello, and welcome to the boards...

Whereas many of us have routine experience with blood work being drawn, it sounds like for your mother, it was a new thing, understandably stressful for her.

As amazing as this sounds, when we hold our breath during the drawing of our blood, the vessels hide deeper in the skin...making them harder to find. Many of us are prone to faint at the sight of blood, and it is the last place most of can possibly relax! Just being slightly dehydrated can make blood work more difficult.

I get my blood drawn very often, and I always look away, keep breathing, and focus on getting through it. It is not uncommon for a person have to get poked a few times, and for it to leave a bruise. The information the blood provides is valuable in medicine, so you have to weigh the bad with the good.

Best to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread