It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

rtb HB User
Strange feeling in lower right abdomen after taking Excedrin

I've been getting this weird warm sensation in my lower right abdomen every time I take Excedrin for my headaches. The feeling is below the ribcage but right above the pelvis. It's not painful but I guess the best way I can describe it is that it feels kind of like heartburn in that area. Does anyone know what might be the cause and what this is? I'm just starting to get concerned, thanks.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Strange feeling in lower right abdomen after taking Excedrin

Excedrin has aspirin, acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) and caffeine in it.

You could be having a reaction to any one of those. Aspirin can cause digestive problems, including heartburn... and worse, in large doses, or taken frequently, intestinal bleeding.

Sensations of heartburn aren't always felt in the chest and maybe you are simply sensitive to aspirin and are experiencing atypical heartburn.

Maybe it's even the caffeine?? Just a wild guess.

Years ago I remember I could not take Excedrin because it gave me almost instant heartburn. Not today though. Odd huh?

Your symptom doesn't sound ominous.

As an experiment, with your next headache could you avoid Excedrin?
Just brainstorming here- but it would be interesting if you got this sensation with just aspirin alone or tylenol alone.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

amf404 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
I've been getting this weird warm sensation in my lower right abdomen every time I take Excedrin for my headaches. The feeling is below the ribcage but right above the pelvis. It's not painful but I guess the best way I can describe it is that it feels kind of like heartburn in that area. Does anyone know what might be the cause and what this is? I'm just starting to get concerned, thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

amf404 HB User

I have that exact sensation in my lower right abdomen, and I took Excedrin for the first time earlier today. Guess I won't be taking that again!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User

Sounds possibly GI related. The lower right abdomen is where the duodenum is, which is the first part of the small intestine. It could be the aspirin in it that's causing this. Try taking Tylenol alone for the headaches.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
(male)

rtb HB User

Ok update, it's been about 2 years and I still get this sensation whenever I take Tylenol, Excedrin, and now Ibuprofen. I had a UA, blood drawn, barium scan and was cleared. I try to avoid taking painkillers at all costs but two days ago i had a splitting headache and took 3 ibuprofen. It feels like "heartburn" and tenderness in my lower right abdomen. The feeling used to last for about 12 hours but now it lasts for a few days so something has gotten worse. Surely they would have seen if I had an ulcer from the above mentioned tests. It's just weird that I only get this feeling from taking painkillers not from anything else.

Last edited by rtb; 08-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Closed Thread