It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
spider bite

My sister was bitten on the ankle by a brown recluse (spider was not caught but it is assumed by fang marks) on August 15. She went to the ER clinic and was given doxyclycline hyclate (sp?). She took 2 doses and had a severe allergic reaction and ended up at clinic where they did IV benadryl. Dr. prescribed Keflex. She then developed bronchitis, severe rib pain (costochondritis ?) and a vaginal infection. All blood work came back normal except for liver.....slightly elevated. They did a chest x-ray, that's how bronchitis was diagnosed. She started to bruise easily too. The bite wound is healing and she did not have any necrosis, thank God. She's off the antibiotics now and is pretty miserable with discomfort and lethargy and they don't seem to know what to do. Any idea out there or has anyone dealt with this sort of spider bite and what should she expect? Thanks!

Last edited by rudiraven; 09-08-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: spider bite

I was bitten by a brown recluse several years ago and I remember feeling like crap for about 10 weeks. Got my face above my left eye. The large black area hung over my eye. I had broken my wrist just before this so between the wrist cast and the black thing on my face, I looked like an abuse victim. People kept asking me if my husband beat me up and offering help. Just a spider bite I told them...just a spider bite!

But I was swollen and hurt for a good 10 weeks. So since she didn't get the necrotic tissue, she'll probably feel better sooner than that. There is no antidote for the venom of a brown recluse. And suggest she have the area where it was found treated with a pesticide for spiders. Where there is 1 there are more. Mine was lying on my pillow and I didn't turn on the light before going to bed...I do now!

Give her my best and tell her it will pass.........gentle hugs..........Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Jenny,
Thank you so much for answering. I had forgotten that after the Keflex they put her on a Z-pac too. She is now having horrible stomach pains and female inflammation. I think there have been too many antibiotics and that's causing her more problems than the spider bite. She's going back to the Dr. today so hopefully they can do something to help her. She's had her yard area sprayed so hopefully it won't happen again.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Jenny,
Thank you so much for answering. I had forgotten that after the Keflex they put her on a Z-pac too. She is now having horrible stomach pains and female inflammation. I think there have been too many antibiotics and that's causing her more problems than the spider bite. She's going back to the Dr. today so hopefully they can do something to help her. She's had her yard area sprayed so hopefully it won't happen again.
Perhaps get her to take some very good probiotics to deal with the antibiotics that have killed all friendly bacteria in her gut. Can help with yeast infections to that we seem to get the moment we are put on any antibiotic!
Stopping an infection is very important. The antibiotics are doing their job! She needs to really be diligent about proper diet, lots of water, rest and get back to the doctor as soon as anything changes.
I found this info: Follow-up

After the initial evaluation by a doctor, the patient may expect this type of follow-up:

* Daily follow-up of wounds for the first 96 hours to assess the possibility or extent of necrosis of wound

* Hospitalization for people with systemic disease

* Continuation of antibiotics until secondary infections clear

* Follow-up with a surgeon if necrosis of the wound is evident

Closed Thread