It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
(male)

sethkumar HB User
Diverticulitis and black stool

I was diagnosed for Diverticulitis. I was given Ciprofloxacin (2 times a day) and Metronidazole (3 times a day). I have no pain now.
But I have black stools which is of my concern. I feel fine and fit otherwise. I do not have any diarrhea, or dizziness or anything unusual.
I called doctor, but got appointment only on Friday (today is Monday night).
Is this normal? Did anyone has experienced similar observation.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Diverticulitis and black stool

i am not too certain if the meds you are on right now can do the black stool thing, but in most people ,having ongoing black stools are not a good thing to have. i would first speak with your pharmacist just to find out if this could be a possible side effect of at least one of the meds you are on.

depending upon just what yopur pharm says about these meds and the possible chance they are not related, you REALLY do need to report this stool color to your doc asap. when there is actual digested blood in ones stool, that IS blackish in color and in most cases, alot like the consistancy of coffee grounds would be? it has to be stemming from way above in the upper GI tract since it would have to pass theu the stomach to even be digested where it would get that particular color. anything beyond that level, if there is active bleeding going on from some level within the lower GI, it would in most cases actually appear more like actual blood in the stool, and not the black? you just really DO need to report this to your doc for further evaluation, espescially if your pharm states this would NOT be related to the meds you are on. some anti Bs can just do really strange things to our stools and urine too. but DO get this evaled at that appt. hopefully this has more to do with the meds you are on than any real upper GI issue. good luck with this and please let me know what you find out. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
(male)

sethkumar HB User

I called the doctor. The advice was to go to ER, in case of dizziness, weakness or fresh blood in the stool. In the mean time I noticed stool color is not black all the time (I can say alternate day the color changes).
I will wait for doc appointment in two days

Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just be very watchful of how you are feeling til that appt,K? if by some chance this IS an upper GI bleed of some kind, you may start feeling dizzy and could have other issues pop up like sudden drops in your BP? if you should feel at ALL odd or strange of simply not 'feel right' at all, go to the ER for some simple testing done to see where your lab numbers are at. are you having any stomach pain at all?hopefully this is something else, but just use common sense here. its always best to err on the safer side of things ya know? please let me know what you find out. good luck, FB

Old 11-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
(male)

sethkumar HB User

Couple of things,
1. The black stool (actually it was very dark green, looks almost black) was not to worry. Doc told me that unless dizziness or weak symptoms this can be ignored. But I had my own concerns on it.
2. The black stool is slowly gone after the medication is done (in about weeks time). However I noticed when I took banana fruit, the stool color is black/darkgreen next day. I attempted two times and both times same observation.
I still have no answer for the colored stool. But this observation looks harmless.
3. Doc suggested colonoscope done today. Everything looks normal.
4. All these days I was suggested low fiber food. I took yocurd with rice. That was most comfortable (and it never gave black/dark green stool). I will be back to normal food now
PS: I follow vegetarian food.

Thanks to Feelbad, your response helped me.

Last edited by sethkumar; 11-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Closed Thread