It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Treatments for PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
ochoas
(female)

ochoas HB User
Treatments for PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease)

If anyone's been diagnosed with PAD, I have a lot of q's about treatment and how successful you feel your treatment has been...I'm asking on behalf of my 77 yr old mother who's just been diagnosed with this.

Can you tell me what medications your doctor has given you for this condition? Do you have any side effects, and how does having these side effects make you feel? Are these med's covered by insurance (Medicare)? If not, is the cost a burden to you?

What do you feel you can accomplish with exercise alone versus taking medications?

Is your doctor suggesting surgery? If you've had surgery, how are you feeling afterwards? Is there anything you still don't feel you can do?

Are there any treatments you've stopped using? Can you tell me why?

Sorry for all the questions--please don't feel like you have to answer all--just the ones that are of interest to you.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
ranch08
(female)

ranch08 HB User
Re: Treatments for PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease)

I was diagnosed with PAD sometime back and thought I would have to have angioplasty and/or stents or a bypass. After I had an angiogram (the dye in the veins) and met with the doctor, I was told they couldn't do anything for me. He didn't explain why and was actually somewhat dismissive of me (spent about 5 minutes with me). I asked couldn't they at least do angioplasty on my leg (it's my right leg that has the PAD) and he replied that he would be afraid it would destroy the peripheral blood vessels that have built up to feed my leg.

I am in AZ for the winter and intend to get a second opinion, maybe with someone who actually gives a hoot!

I bought a treadmill and have been walking on it every day; I'm told that is a very good thing to build up the leg(s). I also ordered a set of leg compressors (squeezers) from Harriet Carter for $69.50 plus shipping, and use those for an hour in the A.M. and and hour in the P.M. while reading or watching TV.

I am not on any prescriptions, although I do take 81 mg. aspirin each day and am trying an herb called Serraflazyme, recommended by my local herb doctor to help circulation and inflammation. It's too soon to tell how effective it is.

I can walk farther now without pain in my calf (intermittent claudication), and after resting a few times can walk a good distance without pain. It's just the starting out that is painful.

Good luck to you and your mother. If you find out anything helpful, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Closed Thread