It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

leatherette HB User
Weird Round Rash on Inner Thighs

Hi Everyone

I have been an eczema sufferer for years and I'm no stranger to red itchy and bumpy skin. However, for the past 2 months, I've been having multiple round rash spots on my inner thigh and my bikini area. They can get really itchy swollen and the skin around them are dry and flaky. I've been using steroid cream and while it helps soothe, the rash doesn't go away.

Having searched for symptoms, I'm suspecting that they're lyme rash. I have in fact, been bitten by a small tick (dog's) on my inner thigh -- saw and picked it out myself. The bitten area was itchy and swelled for a few days but it's barely there now. Soon after the incident, I started developing these rash but they're not on the actual bitten area. I got bitten on my left thigh but have rash on both thighs although the right side is more severe. I haven't had or noticed any other lyme disease symptoms. I asked my friend who is a newly graduated doctor (I didn't show him though) and he said that lyme disease is quite rare in Malaysia where I'm located.

I've taken a few pictures hoping that someone can give me an inkling of what it is so that I'll know what to expect when I eventually visit the doctor.

Thank you

Last edited by moderator2; 12-14-2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

LoveMoo11 HB User
Re: Weird Round Rash on Inner Thighs

I would see your doctor about a lyme test, especially since you did have a tick on you. The test is no big deal, just some bloodwork. Lyme rashes usually look like a target, a bump or spot with circles around it. You can google it to find some images. Lyme varies a lot with people and presents differently, so its not strange that you have no other symptoms. It can be a big deal if you let it go too long. My cousin had Lyme and he suffered from temporary paralysis as a result. Luckily, he recovered fully, but the doctor said he wouldn't have if he had waited any longer. Even if Lyme isn't a big deal in your area, you should get the test-better safe than sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

22dreams HB User

Leatherette,

Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases are world-wide. Ticks carry at least a dozen diseases other than lyme disease.

Also, to be forewarned:

even if you were tested for LD, the conventional testing has only about a 46-56% sensitivity.
So: banking on the results is like flipping a coin with your health.

For tests to be used as a diagnostic tool, the sensitivity must be 95% or above. To give you an idea, conventional HIV testing has a 99.5% sensitivity/accuracy.

Last edited by 22dreams; 12-19-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

egentzke HB User

It could be ringworm. (circular rashes caused by a fungus [not an actual worm])

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

Chark70 HB User

Hi,
I have the same problem (I think) did you ever find out what it was or find anything that worked? thanks

Closed Thread