It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
(male)

cpaero31 HB User
Weight Loss Tips - Please Advise

hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am hoping for some advice. If you want to take the time to read my post and give me suggestions based on what I say below please do, if you are just going to make judgments on me or don't want to read my full post and provide info beneficial to me please move along...

I am a 22 yo college student. I have decided that I want to get into better shape to better my health. Since about thanksgiving I think I have lost about 10-15 lbs. I am not really sure about the exact number since I have a ****** scale but I know that the average number has been going down (~197 now as opposed to ~211 around thanksgiving).

I have really just been doing a lot of running/cardio - either treadmill/elliptical. When I started around thanksgiving I would struggle with a mile on a treadmill. I have been trying to do more distance. At my point now I can usually do a 5k in 27-28 min if I try.

First off, how good of a time is that? I am pretty sure I am still technically overweight at mid 190's but I can usually meet this time about 3 times a week.

This last week or two I have been trying to avoid running on treadmils which I did before and go for outdoor runs. The last time I tried to go for a long run was a couple days ago I went about 7.3 miles (according to a mapping website) in about 1 hour, 30 mins i think.... sry I don't know the exact time. This is the max I have done, usually I have been doing about 5 miles in about an hour, 15mins~ every other day or couple days for a couple weeks.

I have been running outside mostly because my schools gym is really compacted since school began and they are doing construction on it... so they have ALL their equipment in one room... kind annoying if I just want to run-I don't want to wait...

I am sorry for the long intro story but if you can help me please do.
I want to lose weight (fat) as much as possible, and I am thinking about a running schedule of (3to4)mi-6mi-(3-4)mi-6mi for most of the week, taking 1 day off or doing a run of only 1.5 to 2.0 mi on a "rest" day.

One thing I also have to admit is that I am a very very busy and stressed out grad student (who teaches 2 labs and works for the government part time and works on a graduate research project) and usually I will get with my friends once or twice a week to drink with (only until we get buzzed, not drunk).... Now, I don't want to catch any **** for this (I have actually cut my drinking down a lot), I just want to know if there is anything I can do to counter this with exercise as I don't see my drinking with my buds ending anytime soon, especially since the weight I have lost (as described above) was also doing this.

Really what I want to know I will state here. I want to be able to run long distances better. The best I have done is ~7.3 miles in about ~1.3 hours i think. I would like to be able to do about 10 miles about a month from now - don't really care about time just distance.

Any suggestions on a training regiment to get to about 11-12 mile runs within a month and a half. any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited by cpaero31; 01-07-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread