It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

gasgurl HB User
Amoxicillin - time to work?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long its ment to be for amoxicillin to work?

Ive been having really bad sinus pain, congestion, head pain, fullness feeling in nose for ages! i kept getting different spots on roof of mouth - some very tiny and some bigger white head tips. So after 3 weeks of being fed up went to docs - they said it could be a sinus infection - so gave me amoxicillin (never had anti botics b4)

So i been taking them - 3 days now and nothings changed - infact i have a sore throat thats come on today - it feels sore low down (not back of throat) and my glands in neck seem swallon! So getting fed up now wondering if gotta put up with sinus pain every day!

any one else had simliar experience? Many thanks x

Old 01-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Amoxicillin - time to work?

Did they give you a shot to start with? How many days of meds do you have? That will make a difference. If you are on a 7-10 regimen with the amoxicillin, it will probably be another couple of days before oyu start to tell a difference. You evidently have a sinus infection. The throat soreness may be due to it beginning to drain....post nasal drip can cause sore throats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
(female)

gasgurl HB User

I got 21 tablets to take 3 times a day...no shot! Just hope they start to work soon!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgurl View Post
So i been taking them - 3 days now and nothings changed - infact i have a sore throat thats come on today - it feels sore low down (not back of throat) and my glands in neck seem swallon! So getting fed up now wondering if gotta put up with sinus pain every day!

any one else had simliar experience? Many thanks x
You may have a combination of allergies and sinus infection and/or a cold.

When I used to take antibiotics for a sinus infection, it usually started clearing after the third full day of antibiotics.

Usually, IMHNPO, when the pain moves down into the lower portion of the throat and chest, that is a sign of an active infection. The top portion of the throat are where your sinuses are. In my personal experiences, sinus pain in the upper portion of the throat, and not the lower portion, is usually a sign of allergies, or a cold, effecting the nasal membranes and/or sinus cavities which has not yet spawned an infection.

Perhaps the soreness that you are feeling in your throat and your swollen glands are because of the war, provoked by the antibiotics, that is going on in your body, fighting a long-standing infection???

If you've had a sinus/throat infection for quite a while, it may take up to a week before you experience any real relief.

An infection or cold can do a lot of damage to the membranes within the sinuses, nasal passages and throat. After the infection is over, if these areas are not protected against re-infection, until the areas totally heal, they are prone to reinfection.

And..... any re-injury to the sinuses, nasal passages or throat, caused by allergies can also spawn another infection. It can become quite a vicious and nasty health problem.

Best of luck and health!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-08-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
(female)

gasgurl HB User

Thanks for you reply! Long standing infection -

Yeh it seems i already have become re infected! as it all began with a cold for couple of days and then 2 weeks of sinus infection then finally went away on its on and then 2 weeks like start of what felt like a cold for 2 days then bang this infection! 5 days of taking tablets - still not 100% better - the mucus seems to have got a lot less and defo less green (sorry) but still having sinus pain and congestion! Maybe due to membrane been damaged? I will continue to take tablets see what happens after them all!

Thanks again for your replies!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
(male)

theclew HB User

hey, did you get better after the amoxicillin? im on the 7-10 day thing for a sinus infection and im on day 6 and i feel better, but im definitely not healthy. what happens if it doesnt work?

Closed Thread