It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

KD86 HB User
My Mother Says it’s an Iron Deficiency…I Say it’s Stress

I know the only way to find out is to see a doctor, but I have neither the time nor the money to do so.

Most days I feel so tired. I go to bed around the same time every night and my alarm is set for pretty much the same time each morning. My mother has been commenting about me going to bed early or falling asleep in front of the TV. I shouldn’t be tired at 24 years old is what she says.

During the week I work as an aide in a preschool class. For those of you who know preschoolers you know they can be very tiring. When I get home from that I have about an hour before I either go to my second job or one of my two night classes. On weekends I am working at my second job and/or doing homework. I do try to schedule in some “me time,” which has helped a little.

I don’t get a good night’s sleep more nights than not. The nights when I do sleep well I feel really good. Most nights, if I wake up in the middle of the night, my brain is thinking about things. Another problem is that my room is on the first floor, so I hear everything about me. My mom wakes up early and likes to get things done which usually aren’t quiet.

I also have what I call “situational depression.” My situation is not even close to what I want it to be and I am depressed because of it. Once things start turning around I am sure I will be less depressed and have more happiness.

I find it a big coincidence that I have started being tired all the time when I started doing all of the things I mentioned above. My mother is adamant that it is an iron deficiency.

Advice anyone?

KD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: My Mother Says it’s an Iron Deficiency…I Say it’s Stress

Unless your mother is a doctor, I'd go get a quick and simple blood test. FYI, you don't necessarily have to see a doctor. In my city there is a lab that does blood tests on demand and the tests are VERY inexpensive. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $30 from them for an iron test.

Iron deficiencies aren't that common in the American diet. Our foods are fortified and we have access to a wide variety of meats. If you're a vegetarian or have heavy periods you could be at higher risk for an iron deficiency. The blood test is simple, and would definitively answer your question.

Stress is a lot more common than iron deficiencies, and stress can indeed make you tired. While it may seem counterintuitive, exercise helps with that.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 04-22-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

KD86 HB User
Re: My Mother Says it’s an Iron Deficiency…I Say it’s Stress

Thanks EagleRiverDee

Unfortunatly there is no where in the area where we have that kind of lab. I have to do to the doctor to get it done.

I agree completely with the exerciseing. I wish I had time to fit it in because it does help me a lot.

KD

Closed Thread