It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

brenda26k2 HB User
Question Cancer Survivor/Vegan Low Platelet Issues

I'm a cancer survivor and have been in remission for about 5 years. I recently noticed a few bruises on both arms and one of my legs. I have been feeling fatigue and worn down, so I went to urgent care this weekend. They told me my platelets were 25,000. Back in September, they were 96,000.

I've been reading about what can cause this besides a virus, another cancer, an immune problem and B12 deficiency. I'm a vegan, never eat meat, cheese and milk. Since September, I dropped dairy products and went from vegetarian to vegan. I am hoping it's a b12 deficiency that has caused my platelets to dive down to 25,000.

Has anyone been told that their low platelets were caused by a B-12 deficiency because of a vegan diet? I am getting more blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy this week. I am hoping it's a diet deficiency. If it is, I have no problem switching to a diet consisting of yogurt and cheese. I should know more this week, but would like to touch base with others having this issue.

Thanks for any tips/help.

Last edited by brenda26k2; 05-02-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Closed Thread