It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
(male)

CELGB HB User
Myelodysplastic syndrome

Hi there peoples

My 85 year old grandfather has been diagnosed with Myelodysplastic syndrome after they took a core marrow sample

The results were quite bad he has been given at very worse 3 months at very best a year

I understand the condition and how it works as such, however I have been trying to find out some information about the end days of the illness what to look for and how does it progress until the end

I donít mean it to sound morbid however we are unsure as to what signs or what to look out for during this illness

Also if anyone has any information on how to make his life a little bit better quality when it comes near to the end

We have also found that even tho the doctor has made it very clear about the illness and the fact he will need regular blood transfusions, he believes he is feeling much better and doesnít think he has this disease, I guess he is in a stage of denial is this a common thing ?

Anything would be great

Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

eljay HB User
Re: Myelodysplastic syndrome

My mom who is 90 was just diagnosed with this too. She has been 2 months to live. She gets weekly transfusions, and besides feeling very tired, she feels fine. Thank goodness.

I too am looking for info on end stage symptoms. Her doctor did say she will die of either infection (low white blood cells) or bleeding (low platelets)

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I know you posted this over two months ago. How is he doing now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
(male)

CELGB HB User
Re: Myelodysplastic syndrome

well in a way we were glad, it went very fast for my grandfather realy only lived 6 weeks

they had him pretty topped up on morphine so for the last few days he was well out of pain and slept alot

he actualy had a stroke about 5 days from the end wich ended him up in hospital and atleast in good care

i alot of ways im glad he was in the hospital it would have been very difficult to deal with in the family home

i hope all goes well if you need to ask anything post away im allways around

Closed Thread