It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

Megan10 HB User
Allergic to Metronidazole...am I still?

I was taking Metronidazole awhile ago for a bacterial infection and I went off it after the first three days. I was experiencing face swelling, white spots in my mouth, chest tightness/trouble breathing and stomach cramps which were made far worse by eating or drinking. My doctor went ahead and put it down as an allergy. I've been off it for about three days now but I'm still experiencing some strange things, and I don't know if they're related.

Basically my biggest problems are that my face is still a little swollen, I have really bad itching on my neck just under my ears as well as a bit on the sides of my chin. The back of my mouth is white (where the tonsils usually sit except I had mine removed years ago) and I keep breaking out with little bumps in the back of my mouth and throat that almost resemble clear boils. My throat isn't itchy, but the bumps hurt a bit.

I've never once in my life had seasonal allergies or been allergic to anything, so I'm trying to figure out what this is (does it sound like seasonal allergies?). As far as I know my temperature's normal (I never run fevers...even when I had norovirus I didn't run a fever). Is it possible I'm still experiencing allergies to the medication or could it be something else? I know, I know, everyone says "go see your doctor right away" but I hate feeling like a hypochondriac when I go in and it's nothing, so I wanted to ask for advice first.

If it helps at all I also have multiple sclerosis so my immune system is almost non-functional, so I'm considering the possibility of illness as well (my left lymph node is a tiny bit swollen and feels sore). Thank you in advance!

-Megan

-edit: sorry, my question seemed a bit too general to put in any other topic so I left it here instead

Last edited by Megan10; 05-13-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Allergic to Metronidazole...am I still?

I have over 40 drug allergies so I can tell you that the facial swelling, the trouble breathing/tightness in your chest and the stomach cramps are pretty common as symptoms of a drug allergy. You can develop and allergy to anything at anytime. You should never take that drug again...the next dose could be fatal.

But the white spots in your mouth are not allergic...that is your infection and it sounds as if it's back and worse or you've gotten a virus on top of it. I am immune suppressed and I know how those illnesses can gang up on you. You need to get back to your doc and see what you have or if the infection is back and worsening. You don't need an exacerbation of your MS.

good luck..................Jenny

Closed Thread