Re: allergic reaction to red wine
I had a major allergic reaction to something last Saturday. I've had hives before, but never as severe as this. I had angioedema like hives all over my face despite the fact I had just taken an antihistamine for allergies. It was like I had a bad swollen burn all over my face. It wasn't just a bit itchy, but also very nerve sensitive to the touch.
Anyway, I consulted with a trusted pharmacist, he even talked to his fellow pharmacist as well. He recommended the Benedryl. I took 2 dye-free gelcaps every 4 hours for about 2 days. I also used OTC cortizone cream all over my face. It took me about 2 days for the swelling and redness to go down.
I had a regular appointment at my allergy clinic on Tuesday and asked about the allergic reaction and what I should have done. They recommended exactly what I did. The other thing I did that they also confirmed was having my Epi-pen handy in case it got really bad.
If you feel that the hives are much worse that what OTC meds can help with, I'd certainly go see a doctor.