It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
(male)

percy78percy HB User
tingleing an numbness in right hand for over a weeek now

hi i have had this tingleing an numbness in my right side of my hand as pinky the next finger an the tip of my middle finger the other 2 is all my fingers r complety numb an tingle feeling an my same side as my pinky the palm part is numbness an tingling right up to just below my wrist to my pinky now i have had this for a week or so now an its all continueious all the time it does not go away it stays that way 24/7 i have done no damage to my hand at all

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: tingleing an numbness in right hand for over a weeek now

so, is this ONLY impacting the last three fingers and the palmer area there or the other ones too? it was just a bit confusing how you stated it up there, just want to know exactly what fingers are involved. the mere fact that this appears to stop right at the wrist, and IS a constant and not only intermittant, the very best type of testing you can have done here just to really see where the compression/impingement of the nerves is at since it can be generated anywhere from up in your c spine and down that arm to usually the wrist? would be what is called an EMG/NCV test. this one test would really help pinpoint the area or areas where the nerves just really are being impinged somehow, or you would NOT have this symptom in an almost constant way at all? that one thing is just very telling. you DO have nerve impingment, the real key is trying to track it back to where that is exactly so any real treatment options can be discussed to relieve it.

are you having ANY other actual pain or symptoms in the neck area or even running down your arm? or any fine motor function problems like dexterity/movement with the fingers at all? are you having ANY actual real color changes within ANY of those fingers even at the tips at all? the two main things that just can create any level of real sensory loss lie within the nerves or the blood vessels too thats why i am asking about any color changes within anyplace within your affected hand? if there just are no real color changes like real obvious blueing or outright blackening of anything(esp the finger tips), then more than likely its a nerve related issue. but still should be checked out by your primary at the very least when you see him. so we willl simply go with it being possibly nerves since this really is much more common and what your symptoms tend to go more towards?

this just can be impacted actually anywhere from where the nerves that all innervate that hand actually start up in the c spine spinal cord level and on down that arm to the wrist. something within the c spine like nerve root impingment which can occur from many different possibles could do this. or something within the elbow or wrist area could be impinging or 'entrapping' nerves too?

the nerves that are being impacted right now in your hand if this IS only the three last fingers along with palmer affectation would be the ulnar or c 8 nerve which innervates the pinkie and that one half closest to it part of the finger(the ring) and then the median nerve is innervating the other half of that ring and the middle finger too. so it sounds like the c 8 and at least that c 7 nerves are being impacted in some way. the area where that is taking place is what really needs finding out. that one EMG really should be able to tell that much for you. depending upon just where that true compression actually is at will realistically dictate what your options really are for releiving it. when anyone is simply having any level of 'constant' impingement, that EMG test IS perfect for finding it. when the problem only comes and goes it will not always pick up exactly where unless that nerve is actually BEING directly impinged at the time of the test being done, so this would help YOU really in the best ways right now in determining impact levels.

i was thinking possible carpal tunnel but if i remember right it IS that median nerve only that actually passes thru it and would not really explain the ulnar nerve being impacted that heavily too? so that may mean it is actually within the elbow area or above? but just see your primary doc who can set up the referral for that one EMG that really should be able to really tell alot with the way YOUR actual constant symptoms just are right now. those results will also simply tell you what any next steps should be by how they turn out and what they point that impingment to. good luck with this and i do hope you can get that EMG done, since it WILL show alot more with your types of solid symptoms. please let me know what you find out. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: tingleing an numbness in right hand for over a weeek now

Good feedback from/FeelBad
-Or you may of struck your elbow - and irritated the ulnar nerve, which when struck, rings into the pinky and ring finger - If no irritation or recent elbow jarring has occured, then I would give careful consideration to her counsel. An orthopedic hand/arm doc would strike or tap your elbow with some force - called a tinel test - your bodily reactions would be involuntary and give him or her a beter physical clue to the source of your problem, if it is not from the c-spine.
Rose

Closed Thread