It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

oodlesdoodles HB User
Dry eyes/mouth - how dry?

Hi all,

I'm undiagnosed and off to the docs on Friday to start the ball rolling to find out if I have Sjorgren's. My Mum had the disease quite severely and I'm nervous that I'm starting the journey too. I've recently developed dry eyes and mouth. Now that Mum has gone I'm unable to ask her but I wondered if Sjogren's always strips all tears and saliva or if sometimes some remains? Recently it has been erratic with me. Some days I'm having to splash water on my eyes because they're so dry and uncomfortable and have a drink on hand to eat and moisten my drying lips which I can't seem to do with my own saliva. Other days I hardly notice it and assume everything is okay. Is it possible that all saliva and tears disappear completely? I assumed that was the case with my Mum as she always had water and bottled tears on hand but I'd like to think that in some cases it is erratic and it doesn't all cease.

Lou

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Dry eyes/mouth - how dry?

oodles: How old are you? Get your hormones tested and see if you're Estrogen Dominant. There are 40+ symptoms of it and one is dry eyes. It's also pollen season and that doesn't help matters. My eyes are dry all day and night. I have to put drops in during the night otherwise I can't open them, they're glued shut. I'm estrogen dominant. Look it up. Read Dr. John Lee's books " What your doctor won't tell you about menopause" and another one on Perimenopause. He talks about it in the book.
All I know about Sjogren's is that it's an autoimmune problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

An ophthalmologist can test your eyes for dryness. They put tiny strips of paper into the lower eyelids and then wait for 5 minutes. Then they measure the length of the wetness on the papers. Usually it's 5mms or less to officially make it diagnostic of dry eyes. And don't worry...it's a painless test...they put in numbing drops first. Then they do another test with dye to check the condition of the cornea and see how the dryness has affected it.

And there are blood tests that can be done as well.

Lots of new meds to treat Sjorgrens so get it under control ASAP and you'll be in a good hands.

goo dluck..............Jenny

Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi, I have sicca syndrome. I had the paper strip tests too and the saliva test. My blood work for sjogren's is negative even though I have so many symptoms. THe only sure test if done correctly is the lip biopsy and my Kaiser doctor says Kaiser doesn't have someone who will do the test accurately.
I use restatsis and biotene. You do want to have drops or plugs for your eyes, as dry eyes can affect the cornea. The biotene mouthwash and chewing sugarless gum helps alot too. Some days are better than others. If I stare at the computer screen too long it dries out my eyes
There is relief out there. good luck

Closed Thread