It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somerset, Kentucky United States of America
Posts: 2
dmofield2 HB User
Rib Pain with shortness of breath

I am a 24 year old female, non-smoker with some severe exposure to second-hand smoke. I gave birth about 4 months ago. Ever since having my child I have been experiencing some severe pain in my rib cage on both the left and right side. If I go to the store I can`t walk for very long because I start feeling the pain and then start getting short of breath. I don`t gasp for air or anything it just feels as though I can`t breath properly. I have had chest xrays and CT scans of my ribs and I assume if there were any tumors of any sort on my lungs they would have been found then. I did research lung cancer and I do have a lot of the symptoms of it, but as I said those tests showed nothing, not even pleurisy or pneumonia. Now I have developed a very dry continuous cough that has been going on for about 4 days, however I am not spitting up anything such a phlegm or blood. I just recently found out I do have sleep apnea. I`m not sure if that would have anything to do with it, but figured it was worth mentioning. Also, get fatigued very easily, experience lightheadedness. Any help or advice you can give, would be appreciated

 
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Needham,MA
Posts: 861
shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

dmofield2

I would suggest that you request a referral if your insurance requires one or just call and make an appointment with a plumanologist (sp). (sorry I can not spell today for some reason). You might request this doctor order a nuclear lung scan to compare with the chest ct. I am only assuming that the Ct of your ribs was actually a ct of your chest. Was the chest ct done with and without contrast?
You may also want to get a referral to a cardiologist or have one of your doctors order a cardiac echo. This will help rule out any cardiac issues.
Please let me know how you are doing.
__________________
Brenda

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somerset, Kentucky United States of America
Posts: 2
dmofield2 HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

Thanks Brenda. I have already been referred to a cardiologist about 2 1/2 months ago for Bradycardia. They have done EKG's, regular stress test and echo, stress echo, and a heart CT plus lots of bloodwork. Everything in that area has come back fine. I have been seeing a pulmonary specialist for my sleep apnea which I found out is the big problem for my Bradycardia. So I called and made an appointment to see him again today so maybe he can figure out what is going on. My grandfather was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer and died shortly after because all of his tests were fine until he had a spot come up on his lung and when they did a biopsy it was already too late for any kind of treatment. Needless to say I'm very scared, but just hope whatever it is they figure it out in time. Thanks for the advice though Brenda. It's appreciated.

 
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5
JHmommy HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmofield2 View Post
I am a 24 year old female, non-smoker with some severe exposure to second-hand smoke. I gave birth about 4 months ago. Ever since having my child I have been experiencing some severe pain in my rib cage on both the left and right side. If I go to the store I can`t walk for very long because I start feeling the pain and then start getting short of breath. I don`t gasp for air or anything it just feels as though I can`t breath properly. I have had chest xrays and CT scans of my ribs and I assume if there were any tumors of any sort on my lungs they would have been found then. I did research lung cancer and I do have a lot of the symptoms of it, but as I said those tests showed nothing, not even pleurisy or pneumonia. Now I have developed a very dry continuous cough that has been going on for about 4 days, however I am not spitting up anything such a phlegm or blood. I just recently found out I do have sleep apnea. I`m not sure if that would have anything to do with it, but figured it was worth mentioning. Also, get fatigued very easily, experience lightheadedness. Any help or advice you can give, would be appreciated
I had this exact problem last summer, I was unable to breath, I couldn't take a deep breath and my chest felt like I was on fire. I also felt that I was drowning, even if I didnt move. I couldn't sit or lay down and I was in constant pain. After going to the emergency room numerous times, once in an ambulance, a pulmonolgist, an allergist, my regular doctor and finally a physologist, I learned I had costocondritis. I was getting epidural injections in my sternum, which hurt like HELL. I am 35 years old, married with 2 kids and needed my parents with me to hold my hand it hurt so much. It went away for a little while but luck me, it's back. I thought I was having a gall bladder attack, had an abdominal sonogram which showed nothing, yesterday I went to my chiropractor and he massaged the area and it hurt so much. I have to go back today but I am scared of the pain. I hope you feel better. Good luck, let me know what happens.

 
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 7
jaybert HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

It could also be a rib dislocation. There are nerves that run from your spine and travel the length of the ribs to your chest and abdomen. If the joint where the rib attaches has become damaged or inflamed it can cause severe pain and difficultly breathing.

 
Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
fusionqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,023
fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHmommy View Post
I had this exact problem last summer, I was unable to breath, I couldn't take a deep breath and my chest felt like I was on fire. I also felt that I was drowning, even if I didnt move. I couldn't sit or lay down and I was in constant pain. After going to the emergency room numerous times, once in an ambulance, a pulmonolgist, an allergist, my regular doctor and finally a physologist, I learned I had costocondritis. I was getting epidural injections in my sternum, which hurt like HELL. I am 35 years old, married with 2 kids and needed my parents with me to hold my hand it hurt so much. It went away for a little while but luck me, it's back. I thought I was having a gall bladder attack, had an abdominal sonogram which showed nothing, yesterday I went to my chiropractor and he massaged the area and it hurt so much. I have to go back today but I am scared of the pain. I hope you feel better. Good luck, let me know what happens.


Hello...is this pain costant? My daughter is 18 and told she has this but it is sporadic....once every week or 2 or a few times in one week.Pain in her sternum and short of breath....going to heart DR as it has been going on for months...can costocondritis act like this??

 
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5
JHmommy HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

The breathing seems to be constant, I am on prozac for it but it doesn't always help. As for the pain, it was constant, now its sporatic. I hope your daughter feels better and i wish i had more info for you.

 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
gummcgay HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

JHMommy, about the pain you have, I have pain similar to yours. It is now over my left rib cage, and slowly move towards my right side. I found that I started to have ropey muscles. Do you have this kind of symptoms?

 
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5
JHmommy HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

When I first had it last summer, it was my whole chest, it felt like I was having a heart attack, now its just on my right side. Did you try seeing a dr?

 
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
gummcgay HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

Did you do anything to reduce your pain to just the right side of your chest? Do you feel your chest very tight?

I myself had seen many GPs and ER doctors but chest x-ray, chest ct-scan and spinal MRI showed nothing. Since I had ropey muscle on my left back that appeared to have contracted for 2 years, one back pain specialist told me that the source of my problem could be diaphragm related. 2 years ago, I had an incident in which I had a tearing pain inside my chest. However, doctors I talked to did not believe me or will not offer any checking in that area as that incident I had was not a fall from high height or a car accident. I had no idea what else I can do now.

 
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 5
JHmommy HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

I would recommend finding a new dr.

 
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7
uninformed23 HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

Hello, Do you think it could be a hairline fracture on one of your ribs. Sometimes hairline fractures are very hard to detect. I have heard of this happening before. So please be presistant about this issue. Also I have sleep apnea and I feel a lot better since I got my C-PAP machine.

 
Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
fusionqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,023
fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

My daughter had Concocondritist..(sp?) I guess it can last for MONTHS!! Atleast we know what it is .

 
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 458
bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Rib Pain with shortness of breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybert View Post
It could also be a rib dislocation. There are nerves that run from your spine and travel the length of the ribs to your chest and abdomen. If the joint where the rib attaches has become damaged or inflamed it can cause severe pain and difficultly breathing.
I suspect that this may be the problem. This is an extremely painful condition, and it makes breathing difficult. The condition is agitated by slouching and putting pressure on the joints between the ribs and sternum.

This condition can be temporarily corrected by laying on the floor with a pillow or folded up towel under your upper back. This will stretch the rib joints in the opposite direction, and hopefully get the ribs joins aligned properly. This is uncomfortable, but you should feel better once you sit up after the maneuver.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
My rapid heart rate and shortness of breath not related to ferretin of 5? AnnHilary Anemia 5 10-04-2010 02:49 AM
Extreme shortness of breath Hamilton92 General Health 6 09-03-2009 05:17 PM
joint pain anyone? iona_23 Thyroid Disorders 94 06-07-2008 02:11 PM
Pain in the chest flowergirl2day Acid Reflux / GERD 1 02-03-2008 07:35 PM
Shortness of Breath/Pain B143C Heart Disorders 1 08-10-2007 12:10 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Administrator (48), Titchou (42), quincy (33), janewhite1 (32), JJ (28), ladybud (22), Misty800 (17), feelbad (15), ibake&pray (15), shisslak (14)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (943), Apollo123 (860), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (774), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!